Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Amazon sword leaves?

I have a good Amazon Sword. Its leaves were all ovals when I bought it at Walmart. It grows very fast in my tank but it grows all long bigger leaves. What factors decide its leaves' shape?

My tank has near 2wpg light and no CO2 injection and is lightly planted so far. Substrate is Turface MVP.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

when you bought it it had most likely been grown emersed (out of the water) what you are seeing is new underwater growth perfectly normal!

Old 03-02-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I agree with JDogg. Under water the swords get long leaves with out the petiole.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

The leaves on my two swords are really long... and huge! They're awesome plants, though.
1 Pearl Gourami, 2 Angel fish (one veiled), 4 Congo tetras, 1 Boesemani rainbow, 1 Columbian tetra, 3 Yo Yo loaches, 1 Pleco, 3 assorted Cory Cats, 2 Black skirt tetras, 2 serpae tetras, 2 German rams, 17 neon tetras, and a partridge in a pear treeeeee!
JulieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Now I see. I love it. It was a big plant with two small ones when I bought it. I cut the two small ones and planted them too. Now it is growing a stalk with 3 more babies. But I guss I have enough of it and need space for other plants.

This afternoon, I received newly ordered plants. One is a wrong one which I haven't ordered. It is a Indian red sword. The plant I ordered is missing. This is the second time they sent me a wrong plant and this is my second order too.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, so after reading this post I have a question. I'm very new to the whole plant thing. My amazon sword recently had a stem with 2 little plants on it. I took the 2 plants off (they had roots) and was planning on planting them in my big tank, but they're reallyt oo small to stay planted. So can I plant them out of the water in a pot or something untill they get bigger? I thought they had to be completely underwater... sorry if this is a dumb question...
Old 03-05-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The easiest thing would be to just float them in your tank until they're big enough to plant.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrbox
The easiest thing would be to just float them in your tank until they're big enough to plant.
This is one of the best things about planted tanks...clippings can be germinated within the water column. Pretty neat huh?

Psst - You may see examples of this in many tanks if you look close enough...usually in the right or left front corners of the tanks.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

One of my amazon swords came from my other one. I just let it grow on the original plant until it got so big it was shading the rest of the tank and sticking out of the water a bit Since you've already clipped it, I'd just float it like Purrbox and Jchillin.

They don't have to be completely underwater. Both of mine have gotten so tall that they regularly grow up and out of the top of my tank. They would probably be just fine, except they end up pushing up against the light hood and cooking
1 Pearl Gourami, 2 Angel fish (one veiled), 4 Congo tetras, 1 Boesemani rainbow, 1 Columbian tetra, 3 Yo Yo loaches, 1 Pleco, 3 assorted Cory Cats, 2 Black skirt tetras, 2 serpae tetras, 2 German rams, 17 neon tetras, and a partridge in a pear treeeeee!
JulieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
ya say ya got it at walmart? I'm gonna have to watch to see if my walmnart carrys any of them, I've been wanting a sword, I better read up on its requirements first!
Old 03-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't have problem to clip and plant it, although they are very small. If it have roots and if you leave 1-2 inch stem under it, it is easy to plant it. The gravel will cover the roots and stem and hold it well.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchillin
Quote:
This is one of the best things about planted tanks...clippings can be germinated within the water column. Pretty neat huh?

Psst - You may see examples of this in many tanks if you look close enough...usually in the right or left front corners of the tanks.
Hmmm, gonna have to post a couple pics, lol. My Ozelot Sword keeps sending out shoots with several nodes on them, and get lots of babies from it, lol. Now I have another sword that sent out a shoot, and where the shoot came out of the water, it has split into 3 different shoots, all with several nodes on each shoot, lol. I can't get them to stop reproducing, lol. But that's ok, I get $2.00 store credit for each Ozelot Sword I take to the LFS here, lol. But not sure what I'll get for the other sword, not sure what kind it is, lol.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchillin
Quote:

Here's some pics I promised.....

29G: See where all the shoots come from at the waterline? It split into 4 shoots at the waterline.

75G:

Old 03-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

8O Jiminy Crickets!!! That is AWESOME!

Tags
amazon, amazon sword, leaves, sword

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com