Angelfish planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooking12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm trying for a planted tank. It's 55 gallons with a filter for 100 gallons, little water movement, the dimensions of 48"l x 12"w x 19"t. I have a light, but no idea what kind, (hand me down). It stretches the length of the tank, and is relatively bright, i believe flourescent, and contains one 4' bulb. I provide liquid fertilizer weekly, as long with partial water changes every other week. I have some flourite clay mixed in with my substrate, and want to have some angelfish. I'd prefer not to use CO2, but i will if its overly necessary. The light does not stay on for very long a day, but I still want a beautiful aquarium. Suggestions on low light, undemanding plants and fish that can go with angelfish in a 55? :thanks:

Why do you dose ferts if you have no plants? If you do have plants, what is already thriving/surviving in there?

Well, I'm trying to revive some anacharis that was not in the best shape when I bought it. I also have some Ludwigia, some blue hygrophila, some regular hygrophila, and some cardinal. I have no idea what kind of light I have currently, but I will look into buying a new one as I'm quite positive its over a year old. And I have no idea how the plants are doing, as its been only a week. I plan on rescaping it soon. Thanks for the help. And for the substrate I want to put a very thin layer of black sand on the top. Will that affect the plants?

The plants will love the sand, they can root more tightly in it than standard clay/gravel.

I'd definitely look into getting a proper lighting fixture that's meant for plants as your usual hand-me-down lighting is typically not really suited for Hygro, Ludwigia, or Cardinal plants. They all tend to get leggy and less attractive growth in lower lighting. Not sure what other folks have for their photo-periods (cycle for lights on vs lights off), but my hygro and ludwigia seem to prefer longer lighting periods. I do 12 hours on, 12 hours off each day, but I think you can go as short as 8 or so if you start to have algae issues.

Luananeko said:
The plants will love the sand, they can root more tightly in it than standard clay/gravel.

Plants like gravel just as well as sand. Lol. Some like gravel much better even.

Plants like gravel just as well as sand. Lol. Some like gravel much better even.

Really? I've always heard it the other way around. Learn something new every day I guess :)

Either way, sand won't bother the plants, plenty of folks grow plants in substrate that's topped with sand.

Luananeko said:
Really? I've always heard it the other way around. Learn something new every day I guess :)

Either way, sand won't bother the plants, plenty of folks grow plants in substrate that's topped with sand.

Oh definitely. Sand and gravel are great. My only advice with gravel is to use the non clown puke version. That paint can't be good for anything.

Coursair said:
I don't know about that, but mine love sand. They tolerate gravel ;)

YMMV

Exactly :). But I especially find plants like java moss love gravel. I know with anubias it is the same. Their 'roots' bond to the gravel.

MABJ said:
Exactly :). But I especially find plants like java moss love gravel. I know with anubias it is the same. Their 'roots' bond to the gravel.

My Java Moss loves everything. My Anubias are "planted" on wood. As long as the plants live, I'm happy.

zooking12 said:
Okay so java moss, the plants i already have, and some anubias?

I'll ask again lol. What plants do you have

Okay so java moss, the plants i already have, and some anubias?
You can do many plants with Algen Fish, normally Angels don't eat the plants neither bite them. Amazon Swords work really good also, my Angels lay eggs on the swords cosntantly.
But as MABJ said, the important part here is the light that you have in your tank.

zooking12 said:
Well, I'm trying to revive some anacharis that was not in the best shape when I bought it. I also have some Ludwigia, some blue hygrophila, some regular hygrophila, and some cardinal. I have no idea what kind of light I have currently, but I will look into buying a new one as I'm quite positive its over a year old. And I have no idea how the plants are doing, as its been only a week. I plan on rescaping it soon. Thanks for the help. And for the substrate I want to put a very thin layer of black sand on the top. Will that affect the plants?

Look for Full Spectrum Daylight or Warm Daylight
And you can have other Kelvin numbers but I use 6,500K or near that number ( Color temperature )
It is the closest to Noonday Sun in the tropics.

Check hardware stores for best value. Or Walmart.

If you can post a pic of the current bulb with a clear shot of the writing, that will help a lot.

If it is a single T8 that type can still work, but you'll perhaps adjust the plants you plan to buy, or not :)

You want at least 3" of substrate, so you may need a thicker layer of sand. Also if you plan to layer over gravel, the gravel will eventually be on top, so make sure you like the color.

I use straight sand. You can use organic potting soil capped with a good layer of sand, plants go crazy, but it can be messy if you move plants and get soil in the water ( algae bloom ).
Google Walstad Method for info on that.

I use straight sand with root tabs. It's cheap and it works. Eco Complete is nice, but pricey for a big tank. There are stickies at the top of the freshwater >Planted sub forum about a lot of details.

Sounds like a T8 fixture. You'll want to replace it with either a regular T5 fixture or a T5HO fixture depending on the lighting level you're aiming for. T5HO is much stronger lighting than the standard T5, which means you'll have a wider variety of plants you can grow, but at the cost of being harder to control algae unless you do CO2 injection.

And also, my current plan is...
Fish:
6 angelfish (to be a pair)
6 german blue rams (to be a pair)
3 clown loaches (to combat otherwise plant harming snails)

Plants:
Blue Hygrophila
Hygrophila
Anacharis
Anubias 'nana'
Java moss
Tiger Lotus
Amazon sword
Maybe Hornwort

I was also hoping to add some small, peaceful schooling fish that fits in with everything. And do I need the clowns or is there another way to combat snails? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom