Another led lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t4runnr

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've seen quite a few led threads regarding type or brand but I didn't see anything about length.

My question is do most of you with led lights span the entire length if the tank with one fixture? Even if the tank has a middle brace?

My 4 foot 75 gallon tank has a nearly 2 inch brace. That brace would be blocking some of the light. Would it be better to get 2 shorter fixtures to just span the openings only?

Thanks in advance.

I just got a 3 ft'r from BML for my 45g and as far as I can tell the center brace has little to no impact on light hitting the bottom.
It's worth saying that I only hooked it up to make sure it worked and see how it looked. The aquarium is not up and running yet, so I can't comment on how plants directly under the brace will be affected. I'm not expecting it to be a problem though.

I can't see that being a problem, only time length may affect shadow play is when say a 24" goes over a 30" tank leaving 3" of dead space of either side.

After researching briefly, IMO, the larger light is worth it. Think about the cat that one Dutch 6300k 24" is $219 and the 48" is $325. You light the tank on both sides and pay 75% of the price for one vs two. ==== ==== or =========
I think that you probably have a better chance losing light having two units vs having one with the brace jn the way.
That's my rationalization for spending $300. Plus when I finally get my big rimless, the 48" will fit :) But that's probably going to be a while

After researching briefly, IMO, the larger light is worth it. Think about the cat that one Dutch 6300k 24" is $219 and the 48" is $325. You light the tank on both sides and pay 75% of the price for one vs two. ==== ==== or =========
I think that you probably have a better chance losing light having two units vs having one with the brace jn the way.
That's my rationalization for spending $300. Plus when I finally get my big rimless, the 48" will fit :) But that's probably going to be a while

Thanks. I see your point. However my question was more along the lines of the brace blocking the light more than the cost of 2 fixtures costing more than bigger single one.

How would 2 smaller fixtures lose more light than a larger fixture that goes over brace? Unless the smaller fixture has less than half the LED Bulbs. Is that what you were alluding to?

I think I made up my mind that I will get a long fixture just for simplicity sake but I just wanted to know what others did for LED fixtures on tanks with middle braces.

Thanks again for your input.

I recently purchased a 24 inch LED light, because I got it extremely cheap. However if you think about the theory that 2 24 inch lights sitting on the tank could have a 2 to 4 inch gap between the LEDs on the edge of light a and the LEDs on the edge of light b, at the center of the tank. Whereas a long solid light will only have the 2 inch gap do to the brace.
Also my thought is less light area with two fixtures not really lost light, just due to the separation between the two.
All in theory

I have a 125gallon 6 foot long tank. I have two braces and there is better lighting then when i had 3 24" fixtures.
I now have 1 72" :)
LED

I have a 125gallon 6 foot long tank. I have two braces and there is better lighting then when i had 3 24" fixtures.
I now have 1 72" :)
LED

Awesome. I guess I should have worded my question better. You just confirmed it for me. Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom