Anubias and Java Ferns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmanova

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know these plants grow when attached to driftwood! My question is, can these plants be rooted directly in Eco Complete Plant substrate? How about Crypts? Are they very durable?
:thanks:

You *can* but you have to be VERY careful not to bury the part of the "root" thats called the rhizome. The rhizome will rot if it is fully planted and that will cause the root to die. I usually anchor my plants down with a little weight and let them take root on their own.

If you want to plant something directly, crypts are probably your best bet, from what I know. I could be wrong.

You can also glue them to driftwood or rocks. Use the gel type krazy glue. Then the roots will grow on thier own and find thier way into the substrate

krazy/.super glue is the way to go IMO
no lasting mess, it IS IN FACT very safe
AND
it will last longer than string, and wont look mess or mess up your tank

In my experiance, Anubias can be placed somewhat planted, except for the Ryzome. I have a larger species of Anubias that I weiged its roots down with a rock, and the rest of the roots have over the past couple months, rooted into the Substrate.

Java fern is best attatched to Driftwood, or its roots attached to a rock.

gmanova said:
I know these plants grow when attached to driftwood! My question is, can these plants be rooted directly in Eco Complete Plant substrate? How about Crypts? Are they very durable?

Crypts hate to be moved. If you trim their roots you will usually get the dreaded Crypt Melt. Don't worry they usually bounce back fine !!! Mine are in sand tanks with root caps. Doing great.
My pics are in my profile.

Anubias & Java fern

Hello g...

Anubias can be planted in the substrate, but be careful to cover the roots only, not the rhizome where the bottom of the leaves come together. The Java fern's very thin roots don't do well planted.

Cryptocoryne varieties are generally hardy plants. I've accidentally uprooted them and just let them float with my Water wisteria and Pennywort and they grow pretty well. Planted is best though in medium light.

Hope this info is helpful.

B

When Java Ferns make new baby plants how do I care for them? Should I let them fall from the mother plant? After they leave the mother plant, should I just let them float freely for a time to get bigger roots or should they be planted right away?

Anubias & Java fern

When Java Ferns make new baby plants how do I care for them? Should I let them fall from the mother plant? After they leave the mother plant, should I just let them float freely for a time to get bigger roots or should they be planted right away?

Hello again g...

I wait until the new plant has three or four leaves on it and then take a sharp pair of scissors and clip the new plant from the mother plant. It's okay to take it from the original plant because the leaf will turn brown and die back anyway. Take care to get the entire root from the new plant when you cut it.

Just attach the new plant to a piece of something porous like driftwood or lava rock. I attach the new plants loosely with thin, black sewing thread. The thread will eventually dissolve, but by then, the new plant roots will be firmly attached.

B

Hey I have a question about java ferns since were on the subject. Mine are super long, and basically cover the entire surface water space (my betta loves this) but if i were to trim them, how would i go about doing that, or are they destined to always be long?

You would trim it back to the base. New leaves will grow from that base. Aren't you getting baby shoots at the tips of the leaves. Usually new baby shoots grow from the mother leaves. The baby shoots then develope roots and the mother decays, then the baby shoots fall off the mother and can be replanted.

No Java Fern grows from the taller leaves at the tips with very fine brown roots and grow that way for about 1 1/2 months as the mother turns brown and decays. The baby sprout can then be replanted and the mother cut back to the root system. Are you sure you have Java Ferns? Maybe post a pic?

Are the leaves a dark green? Do the leaves come to a point? Java Ferns I have seen usually grow to about 6-7 inches and usually have some dark spots on the leaves!

Possibly Amazon Sword?

amazon-sword-1266085194-800.jpg

Back
Top Bottom