Any advice on LED's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickcpurcell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a full spectrum LED light for my planted 36 bow front. Any advice on setting up the lights and how to properly adjust tree light values would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The light is a 24" Current Satelite LED+ 18w 1000 lumen with 48 6500k white LED's and 24 RGB full spectrum LEDs

I have the same fixture. It's a great light, but at it's highest setting, which would probably be the "full spectrum" preset on the remote (looks yellow, 2nd row, 2nd column), you'd be in the low light range on a 36g bow front. So you'd be okay to grow plants like swords, Val, crypts, moss, anubias, dwarf sag, etc. So there's no real adjustments needed, just use the presets... I personally like full spectrum or orange the best.

If you want to grow more demanding plants, you'll need to add a second fixture. I'm currently using two SatLED+ lights on my 17g rimless. I'm also injecting co2 because I'm in the moderate light range with two.

Those lights are awesome! The effects are so fun. You could also buy the strip lights they sell and put them on as well, instead of getting another module.

Those lights are awesome! The effects are so fun. You could also buy the strip lights they sell and put them on as well, instead of getting another module.

I have the same fixture. It's a great light, but at it's highest setting, which would probably be the "full spectrum" preset on the remote (looks yellow, 2nd row, 2nd column), you'd be in the low light range on a 36g bow front. So you'd be okay to grow plants like swords, Val, crypts, moss, anubias, dwarf sag, etc. So there's no real adjustments needed, just use the presets... I personally like full spectrum or orange the best.

If you want to grow more demanding plants, you'll need to add a second fixture. I'm currently using two SatLED+ lights on my 17g rimless. I'm also injecting co2 because I'm in the moderate light range with two.

Awesome! Most of what I have in the tank are low light already. My concern was with the color spectrum. I have been using the full spectrum so far but wasn't sure how well it was set. Nice to hear from two people that already have the same fixture

Where could i get the add on lights? Do you know how expensive?

I know petco.com sells them, here is the link for the + type, first from petco, then the manufacture's site:
Current USA Satellite Freshwater Aquarium Flexible LED Plus Light at PETCO
Flexible RGB LED - Satellite+ Flexible LED Strip | Current-USA

Here is the links for the standard model (less expensive):
Current USA Satellite Freshwater Aquarium Flexible LED Light at PETCO
Flexible LED Strip - Satellite Freshwater Flexible LED | Current-USA

hoped that helped.
p.s. petco.com is kind of expensive for these things.

How do the Fluval units rate? The 279.99 at PetCo? They say they are set to 5200K and are for planted aquaria.

How do the Fluval units rate? The 279.99 at PetCo? They say they are set to 5200K and are for planted aquaria.

Found the model we are talking about at my lfs for $89.

I know petco.com sells them, here is the link for the + type, first from petco, then the manufacture's site:
Current USA Satellite Freshwater Aquarium Flexible LED Plus Light at PETCO
Flexible RGB LED - Satellite+ Flexible LED Strip | Current-USA

Here is the links for the standard model (less expensive):
Current USA Satellite Freshwater Aquarium Flexible LED Light at PETCO
Flexible LED Strip - Satellite Freshwater Flexible LED | Current-USA

hoped that helped.
p.s. petco.com is kind of expensive for these things.

Thank you! I appreciate the links. I didn't know they sold the ad ons for it. That will be nice to know if I decide to upgrade

The fluval light is nice, too. I actually have one on my parents' aquarium, a 26g bow front. It's a bit brighter than the Current Sat+. They're actually using it in tandem with a Sat+ for medium light. But by itself on a 21" tall tank, it's about low/medium light. I like the Sat+ features better. But using both together has been quite effective. They both fit side by side just right on the versatop glass top. The 26g and 36g bowfront are the same dimensions except for length. So it's something to consider if you want to increase lighting.

Would something like this be good for a 20g High with lots of crypts? Ive been looking at the marineland aquatic plant light. It says it uses a blend of 6500k white leds and 3 watt RGB leds.

Might be overkill for crypts. I'd get the Current satellite LED+. It's a fun light. I think it's cheaper too.

Yeah I believe Brian nailed it on the head. The satellite+ is a great light for the price. Allot of fun and I found it for$89. Fish seem to love it as I can dum the lights on and off with the sunrise/sunset and other features, not as much of a shock when the lights come on. Still reserving judgement on how the plants like it as I've only had it for a few days...but my plants seem to be getting good color and it doesn't seem that any of them are showing any kind of stress or deficiencies yet.

Right now I'm using the led hood that comes with the kit, which from my understanding is closer to to no light then low light. I really like the led stuff tho, so I was looking for something with some spectrum to try and get my plants to grow better. Like a low to moderate setup

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Right now I'm using the led hood that comes with the kit, which from my understanding is closer to to no light then low light. I really like the led stuff tho, so I was looking for something with some spectrum to try and get my plants to grow better. Like a low to moderate setup

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you think you'll want to increase to higher lighting, but would like the flexibility to dim the fixture to low light, check out BuildMyLED.com. Their fixtures are capable of high light on most tanks, they're full spectrum, and there's an optional dimmer.

I like this LEDImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391977889.448415.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391977934.677475.jpg
I use it inline with 2 T5 ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391977997.775874.jpg
Aquarium plant bulbs... And it works killer!
I have several of the units from 55 to this 13 gallonImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391978096.454807.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391978126.013680.jpg
I have been away for awhile, so things have looked much better... But the lights work and feed well.

Back
Top Bottom