Anyone have a natural planted tank (Walstad)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
I started a NPT about 2 weeks ago. Plants and shrimp are doing well. I just noticed there's some cloudiness above the substrate in one part of the tank, kind of reminds me of a low-lying fog. Water params are great. Any thoughts on what it might be?

img_3184237_0_263be723647e5a2437a8ae9598ff10c0.jpg

This tank was filterless and with a soil bed, which roughly what the walstad method is all about. It's honestly probably one of the coolest tanks I've ever had simply because of how the ecosystem took care of everything that we usually have to fight in fish aquariums. Algae was eaten, things that eat the algae were eaten, and everything just kind of worked. Adding any fish probably would have ruined it though, as the ecosystem would have been skewed.

As an aside, why are your plants so sad?

This tank was filterless and with a soil bed, which roughly what the walstad method is all about. It's honestly probably one of the coolest tanks I've ever had simply because of how the ecosystem took care of everything that we usually have to fight in fish aquariums. Algae was eaten, things that eat the algae were eaten, and everything just kind of worked. Adding any fish probably would have ruined it though, as the ecosystem would have been skewed.

As an aside, why are your plants so sad?

That's so pretty and what I'm hoping for eventually.

All the plants are leftover bits from other tanks so I'm hoping they're just getting used to the new set up....withdrawl from added ferts and artifical light maybe? ;)

Any idea what that cloudiness is?

My guess would be either fungus or heterotrophic bactera. It it like a haze throughout the tank but moreso in the bottom third, or is it just junk stuck to the bottom?

My guess would be either fungus or heterotrophic bactera. It it like a haze throughout the tank but moreso in the bottom third, or is it just junk stuck to the bottom?

Just lurking along the bottom...

My guess would be bacteria that will go away as the tank matures.

Well, last night it seemed the 'fog' was starting to grows upwards but this morning it's almost gone! Hoping you're right!

Back
Top Bottom