Apropriate substrates for freshwater plants.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was curious what kinds of substrates were avilable for freshwater,medium light plants. I have two or three amazon swords and a small bunch plant, not sure what type. What substrate is not going to change ph to much, and good for my plants, and what are the different types. Thanks

James

Fluorite, most expensive, can be used alone or mixed with regular gravel 50/50.

First layer Laterite, not too pricey cuz you dont need as much, make a layer under gravel of your choice.

Schultz Aquatic Soil. made for pond plants works very well in the aquarium also. probably cheapest.

I've now tried all 3 of these, if i had it to do over, I'd go with the Schultz every time. cheapest, and works great!

None of these substrates affect ph in any way.

I have done both laterite and flourite, and not shultz. From what I hear (a lot of people) they say shultz works just the same and is a lot cheaper, so I will have to go with Corvus on this.

I was hoping to hear from you CC. Thank you both for the info, I will get the Schultz then, I want to get some really think plant for my Gourami. Thank to you as well Electrobes, BTW could you guys reccomend some good bushy bunch plants? Something like a small aquatic shrub.

I know I should say duh on your tank specs but I dunno if we are talking about the tank in your description... I have three tanks but usually talk about my 38 gallon that I have yet to list :cry:

Well I have this question for you.. what lights do you have? And also how tall is small? The reason why I ask is because I have a favorite plant which is a carpet plant called Glosso (not its full name but its common name) A lot of people like doing a lot with them, like making it a solo glosso tank, or using glosso to fill in the gaps left by the other bigger plants. There is a catch though... The glosso will stay short if there is a stronger light on your tank. The less strong or amount, the taller it gets, and the more fragile. I'll talk more about it if you want, just ask :)

But lets say you have a minimal amount of light, which does limit your options... Java Ferm is a nice very very slow growing plant which will grow in very low light. It will stay small for a long while, unless given a lot of light and CO2, but even then it will still grow slow. But of course... another catch... you shouldn't plant this guy as though it had roots like a stem plant.. this is something to tie to a rock or something and it'll attach in a while from there on its own. Its a widely used plant and a pretty one at that, and est of all the thing is dang near impossible to kill!

But never fret for there are millions of plants for mucho types of tanks. Lets start of with what light source you have or will have and anything else that needs to be known about the tank, and I can gladly suggest what plants would do well in the category you are looking for (small aquatic shrub) plus anything else you may be interested in. Just out of curiosity what fish do you also have in this specific tank?

The light is in my Sig. It's pretty intense and I run it for about 8hrs a day. One thing I should mention is that I don't have CO2 and don't plan on using any, at least not right now. I want something thats got thick foliage, and that won't grow much taller then 8 inches. my tank dimensions are approx. 16 high 24 long 15 wide(all in inches, duh) I am planning on getting a bigger tank as soon as I can find one that I like.(looking for something 30-40 gal, maybe bowfront) Right now though the Emp. 280 creates quite a bit of current so the plants needs to be fairly robust. If you need any info on my tank thats not in my sig(most of it is) just e-mail me. Thanks a bunch electrobes.

Back
Top Bottom