Aquascaping a 5 gallon hex ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium-mania

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi , I've just started up my old 5 gallon hex up again to keep me company in my study room. I was just wondering how to plant it , as it has an UG filter so rooted plants aren't appropriate. It has a 11w CFL bulb. (I think...) .Also , I wouldn't be putting any fish in , at least not until a few months time when I might add some Red cherry shrimp.
ATTACH]223422[/ATTACH]
What kinds of plants and setup should I do ? Maybe java fern and java moss , but how should I arrange it ? Please help ?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392758125.409900.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392758125.409900.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 88
We'll first if shrimp are a possibility deft need some moss they love it as far as arrangement I like to scape my cylindrical tanks with a tall set if plants in the center and slope them down from the center allowing 360 viewing.

I would get a nice looking piece of driftwood/rock and tie some java fern/java moss/anubias to it. It would make the focus of the tank in the middle.

Thanks for your help everyone ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ Do you think I should replace the lighting ? It says 15w maximum , and it has space for only 1 normal household bulb :(ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392828433.819328.jpg

i dont think so it puts you at 3 watts per gallon and all the plants you were looking to use were low to med lights so you should be fine.

It's just that I read something about colour temperature and that CFL bulbs don't produce the correct wavelength of light for plants or something .. I'm sure it'll be fine , just like you said , and anyway it's near a North-facing window. (=^x^=) Thanks for your help !

Back
Top Bottom