Basic fertilization

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xawen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 54 gallon corner that until pretty recently was very lightly planted (5-6 plants). It's got a 24" dual T5HO fixture (longest that will fit on a corner) at 48 watts and no CO2 setup. It's a decent amount of light since the tank isn't as long as a normal 55, and the low-med light plants I have are doing well (green, continue to grow).

I recently added 5-6 more plants to fill out one side a bit. Nothing real fast growing or high demand. I can find my list if it matters (I'm awful with plant names). Since I added the newer plants, everything is doing great and algae growth in the tank has stopped. Most people would think this is a good thing, but I have a pair of oto cats that my wife loves. I feed zucchini for them and by BN pleco, but I've had to start doing that daily since the algae disappeared.

I'm a super beginner when it comes to plants, so I don't know anything about what's available. Is there any kind of fertilizer I can add in light doses that will provide enough nutrients for the plants and leave enough for a bit of algae too? I guess I'm looking to over fertilize my tank just a little... I just want to promote a bit of algae growth so my otos can graze between feedings, but do it without changing the tank parameters much.

It's an odd question, but I appreciate any advice from the experts :D

Even something as simple as Flourish will cause some algae if you overdose it. I get GSA on the leaves of my java ferns if I get a little carried away with the weekly Flourish dose.

Back
Top Bottom