BGA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Now the question on BGA, if your nitrate levels are up, why does it keep coming back? Right now that's the only one I'm battling in my 29G. Got rid of all the rest, but even after blackouts, all's clean for about a week, then BGA comes right back. And I don't want to dose more nitrate, as my nitrate levels are pretty high. I've been dosing extra phosphate and potassium as well, and my CO2 is very good. Plants pearl like a mad house, and got good flow across the front of the tank, but the BGA just loves the gravel in the front of the tank and along the lower glass. It's real slimy, and stinks. I've got it cleaned up once again, but would like to keep it away for good.

I also read that it's really not low nitrates that cause BGA, but increased disolved organics, and they recommend adding carbon to the filter at the very first sign of BGA. I'm going that route right now, manually cleaned as much as I could and added carbon, and dosing to proper levels, if not a little more. Any thoughts on this as well?

Don't forget about good circulation as well. Uping the NO3's wouldn't help if it isn't getting to the problem areas. I would go with adding Carbon as you are doing. Tom Barr has written that may people have seen good plant growth by adding carbon to their filters.

The only think is can you ever over-do carbon? lol. Sometimes I wonder if I'm putting enough in, or too much, lol.

Lonewolfblue said:
The only think is can you ever over-do carbon? lol. Sometimes I wonder if I'm putting enough in, or too much, lol.

Pretty sure you can't. It's sort of like a sponge. It can only soak up whats there. Putting tons of carbon in just means that it will last a little longer (since there's more carbon there to suck up impurities).

Too little just means the effects of the carbon won't last terribly long.

LWB - sorry about the BGA - I'm having the same issue. Its SO annoying and disgusting. I hadn't heard about the carbon - guess what I'll be doing in a few minutes :) thanks for the tip !

Back
Top Bottom