Brown Algae problem...help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chest Rockwell

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a ten gallon. Housing 14 neons, 3 ghost shrimp, and two netrite snails. I have two Anubias and quite a few java ferns most are 1/4"-2" plantlets and a few patches of Christmas moss. I run two cfls' 23w@5k and 26w@65k both in clamp lights. I run them 4hrs on then off for 2 then on for another 4hrs. I run no co2 or any ferts. The problem is brown algae is covering everything even with weekly 40% water changes. I run just polyfiber and biosponge in my filter and i have a small air stone running. The snails and shrimp do eat the algae but its not really putting a dent in it. Any advice from ten gallon planted owners?

How long has your tank been set up? Does the algae rub off easily when you touch it with your fingers?

Then it's diatoms which is common in new tank set ups. You really don't need that much light for the plants you have as they are low light tolerant. Run 2 lights only and see if that helps. On a good note, diatoms are self limiting and once they use the excess silicates in the water they will disappear.

I do run two cfl bulbs both in clamp lights. 2.3w on one side and 2.6w on the other half of my tank. I have read that ten gallon aquariums are tricky with lighting compared to larger tanks. Should I just stick with one cfl, the 26w@65k for the whole tank?

Considering you have low light slower growing plants and don't use any CO2/liquid carbon or ferts I would say yes, only run one for the entire aquarium.

Well I had a small problem with that...I got a snail and it cleaned one for my plants like new!

Nerite snails are often used to clean up diatoms and they cannot reproduce in freshwater so no worries about a population explosion of unwanted snails.

Well just in 24hrs by reducing the light to 26w@65k the tank is starting to clean up. Plus finally the zebra nerite snails are helping allot with slowing the growth. The sand is starting to become white again and my Anubias are losing the algae. I'll keep updates

Back
Top Bottom