Brown beard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquascape

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a copious amount of brown bread algae growing only on my java fern lace. Phosphates are at zero and the lights are on only for a few hours a day. I have a leopard frog pleco, who doesn't eat algae only, and a heck a lot o' snails. How do I get rid of this stuff?

Is this brown algae (diatoms) or black brush algae? There is no 'brown beard' algae that I know of.

That being said, brown algae is usually from new substrate, tank cycling, anything that can leech silicates, or silicates in your water. BBA, or Black brush/beard algae, is caused almost exclusively by too much light/too low or irregular CO2.

BBA algae, sorry the tank has been set up for 2 yrs. Havnt changed anything terms of substrate, what is the best way to get rid of it

What kind of light do you have?

Unfortunately, BBA almost always implicates low CO2 for lights. However, the fact that it's just coming out for you means that your tank probably is borderline and something finally pushed it over the edge. I bet that dosing Excel would sort the whole thing out, assuming the BBA problem isn't a major bloom.

No not a major prob, I set up a dyi Co2 and bba is starting to diminish. Well see how it goes

Back
Top Bottom