Brown slime forming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have been running my tank for I'd say 6 months now and on my filter where the water runs out there is like a brown slime forming and it's also in my intake tubes and in the bottom of my filter it's not in my tank anywhere just the filter. Is this normal and what's causing it

That doesn't make since its in my filter which never sees the sun and it's constantly running water flowing if it were lack of oxygen my whole tank would be growing this stuff

I use to see this in my and other peoples filters if I didn't clean the filter housing and tubes after a couple of weeks. I started seeing a lot less of it after I switched to a different brand of flake food and I haven't seen it since adding plants. So I'd say its normal I guess. Maybe your overfeeding your fish.

Well since this is my thread I guess I can go off the topic and ask what kinda flake food is the best

Yes its normal and good. It shows your tank is cycled. Near the surface is perfect environment for algae with direct light, water movement, and temp. It's kind of like biological filtration (bio-wheel) effect. You can clean it but you'll lose the war eventually.

Back
Top Bottom