brush algae issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evercl92

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A friend of mine has been battling this algae for quite some time. The picture is not from his tank, but it looks just like it. The bleach-dip treatment has helped some, but it has managed to come back again. It's a 75 gal tank, and he now has 7 young true siamese algae eaters in the tank, along with the other fish (mainly loaches). He wants it to be a planted tank, but can't seem to keep the algae under control (and not all over the rocks, plants). Is this correctly identified as brush algae? He's tried several methods for removing phosphates (currently at 5 ppm), pH is 7.2, and the tank has been setup for 8 months or so. He has the coralife 260wt fixture on it, and using the cheapo jungle CO2 system.

Any info on how to get rid of this would be greatly appreciated. TIA

brushalgae.jpg

He has the coralife 260wt fixture on it, and using the cheapo jungle CO2 system.
It's a 75 gal tank

There is the problem. Excessive light with a deficiency (Carbon).

My phosphates are typically high and my 75Gal suffered the same fate. I added Co2 injection w/ a good reactor and the problem stopped. He can try dosing with Seachem Excel, but this won't be a long term solution.

SAE will clean it up, but without removing the cause I'm afraid it will still overtake the tank.

I have to agree with Wizzard. He needs a better CO2 system and reactor for a 75G. You could try cutting the amount of light in half as well til he get's a hold on things, and then up the lighting after he's got more control.

In my experience with SAEs and with what has already been said, they only eat the new growth, but not the old. I didnt completely get rid of the problem until i cut off all the leaves which were infected and boiled the ornaments (rocks/driftwood). After that, never saw it again.

I never removed a single plant, the SAE's combined with Co2 dosing removed all traces from my tank.. I guess your mileage may vary. but the end is the same. the problem must be resolved before it will be in a position to be cleared up.

DIY cheapy CO2 and lots of light is a very bad combination.

Try a shop light and nice Gas CO2 system.

That is a much better buy and will give you much better results.
DIY CO2 is fine for a 20-30 gal tank.
75 gal you need a gas tank.

You justified a 260w nuke light, you can justify something that will make your plants grow very well(CO2). Just do it.
Later, you'll be glad you did, everyone is.

Regards,
Tom Barr

That's basically what I was thinking, his limiting factor at the moment being the CO2. I just found out last night when I talked to him that he was dosing with flourish and excel only occasionally. I'm like, WTF, no wonder that you are having issues. Mass amount of light, no CO2 / carbon, and minimal nutrients....

Back
Top Bottom