Can dwarf baby tears live without co2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-Alex24-

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello I am planing on buying a pot of dwarf baby tears at my fish store and plan on placing them in my 10'gallon tank in a pot with a t5 light and iron supplements could will it still be able to live?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi Alex, in my experience, dwarf baby tears (HC) need CO2 to thrive. I haven't tried it with a liquid carbon, however. But you can rig up a DIY CO2 generator (yeast/sugar) for dirt cheap. I've grown HC with moderate light, DIY CO2, and a comprehensive fertilizer regimen.

Ok, but is there another way to generate co2 without yeast and sugar because my mom says that my whole room will stink

If it smells then there is probably a leak in the setup. You'd want to direct the CO2 from the generator bottle into a bubble counter / collection chamber before it gets to the tank. This will trap most of the yeast and odor that might escape from the generator. The output from the collection chamber can be sent to the intake of a filter where the bubbles will get mixed with the tank water. The only time i smelled anything was when a bubble counter broke (I used glass instead of plastic).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is a contained system, there will absolutely no odor while it's running, it will smell like alcohol when you dump it though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If it smells then there is probably a leak in the setup. You'd want to direct the CO2 from the generator bottle into a bubble counter / collection chamber before it gets to the tank. This will trap most of the yeast and odor that might escape from the generator. The output from the collection chamber can be sent to the intake of a filter where the bubbles will get mixed with the tank water. The only time i smelled anything was when a bubble counter broke (I used glass instead of plastic).

Ok and how much would a diy co2 system cost just to build

$50and under for a setup on eBay all you do is screw 2 bottles in it get a diffuser and reaserch citric acid baking soda co2 generator I prefer it over the yeast method.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mine cost about 10$ with a glass diffuser 5$ less if you didn't use a diffuser. (Yeast/sugar)

I did not have good puck with HC on a glut and pps-pro regime so after months of the HC just kinda sitting there I decided to do diy co2 I tried about 20different designs and mixtures and this was the most realiable and consistantly pressured one I've used and with the citric acid and baking soda mixture there is no smell even if there were any leaks.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1411107287310.jpg
    1411107287310.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 138
Back
Top Bottom