Can I divide amazon swords like anubias?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-Alex24-

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello I have 3 amazon sword plants that have been growing in my 10 gallon tanks with 1 T5 lamp. I add iron supplements each week. Each plant has about 10 leafs. But my question is if I can cut my swords by the root system to leave 5 or so leaves on each side just like with anubias

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hello I have 3 amazon sword plants that have been growing in my 10 gallon tanks with 1 T5 lamp. I add iron supplements each week. Each plant has about 10 leafs. But my question is if I can cut my swords by the root system to leave 5 or so leaves on each side just like with anubias

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hello!

Sadly, no. Sword plants reproduce via runners with baby Swords along them.

I would say with 3 Amazon swords in a 10g...you are not going to want more once those things get growing. They may even eventually start to choke each other out (Amazon Swords have MASSIVE root structures). I had 1 in a 10g a few years back...even that seemed like a bit much.

Moral of the story, I wouldnt worry about more Swords because eventually you may need to remove 1 or 2 if they are all growing properly.

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom