Can I use FloraPride in my brackish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
siva said:
Also root tabs? If not, what should I use in BW?

I use Flourish Excel and root tabs in my BW and all the plants are doing good/great (banana plant loves BW).

BTW, I have ghost and amano shrimp in there too and they're doing a great job as a cuc. Have yet to see if they'll survive the GSP's though, since there's a delay in getting the pair we want.

Is that what you use in your FW tanks too? I just bought the FloraPride because it was avail. locally, but I was wondering if I should order something else. What brand root tabs do you use? Do you know where to find a good deal on them? They are so darn expensive.

How could they possibly survive the GSP's? lol I think all cuc options make good GSP snacks unfortunately :( I find all I need in my BW is MTS, they are really effecient at keeping the substrate clean.

Is that what you use in your FW tanks too? I just bought the FloraPride because it was avail. locally, but I was wondering if I should order something else. What brand root tabs do you use? Do you know where to find a good deal on them? They are so darn expensive.

How could they possibly survive the GSP's? lol I think all cuc options make good GSP snacks unfortunately :( I find all I need in my BW is MTS, they are really effecient at keeping the substrate clean.

Yep, the FE goes in all my tanks, even the fry tank. Originally I got the Jungle root tabs (6.99) and they worked great. Recently I picked up a bottle of AFA's Multi Bottom stick ferts. They were $18 for the bottle, but 30 sticks and being told to break them in half and spread them around more, I think they're a better deal than the Jungle brand. Remember, you only really need root tabs if you have plants that are root feeders.

Below is a link to the AFA stuff and check out plantgeek.net for info on you plants and their needs.

I have pond snails and MTS too. The pond snails are snacks for sure and I'm not even sure if the MTS will survive the GSP lol.

aqua forest aquarium

Ok. I just read on plantgeek that FE will melt the leaves right off of anacharis if you give enough. That worries me a bit since I have anacharis in many of my tanks.

Thanks for the tip, the looks like a good deal. Do you add more tabs monthly? I'm just trying to figure out which of my plants are root feeders..I'm not seeing info on that on plantgeek. How do I tell?

MTS have pretty hard shells..they just might make it, atleast the big ones.

siva said:
Ok. I just read on plantgeek that FE will melt the leaves right off of anacharis if you give enough. That worries me a bit since I have anacharis in many of my tanks.

Thanks for the tip, the looks like a good deal. Do you add more tabs monthly? I'm just trying to figure out which of my plants are root feeders..I'm not seeing info on that on plantgeek. How do I tell?

MTS have pretty hard shells..they just might make it, atleast the big ones.

I was just saying I use FE in my BW tank, so the flora stuff should be fine too.

I use FE in tanks with vals and anacharis and don't have issues since I pull a gallon of water from the tank, mix FE at 1/2 dose in the gallon then pour it back in. Both plants can melt from it, but with doing the premix mine are doing just fine.

I put tabs in once a month or so and place them in different parts of my sand bed depending on which plants seem to need a bit extra. All my plants are doing good with tabs even if they aren't heavy root feeders, but if you're trying to save money it's an extra expense that you may not need. Google your plants if it doesn't say on plantgeek.

Yep, MTS have a tough shell, but a GSP has a beak like a parrot and their jaw muscles are really strong from what I've found out. Even the warning that they can nail your finger good if you're not paying attention during tank maintenance lol.

What plants are you using in the BW?

Florapride will not hurt your plants, but isn't the best either.

There are many really inexpensive options, like dry ferts.

If you feel you need root tabs, you can make your own using osmocote which is even cheaper than dry fertz online.

I plan to add more, but at the moment I've just added a few things I had around that would work in BW like some java ferns/moss and moneywort.

I have many-a-tanks so cheap is good, but not much time. Not sure if it would be practical for me to make my own. What dry ferts would you recommend?

You know, if you stick to super lowlights like the java ferns/moss, you really shouldn't need much, if anything, in the way of fertz.

None of those are heavy root feeders.

An occassional boost of the florapride will be a nice bonus.

If you still want to fertilize when you run out of florapride, you can buy super inexpensive tabs at www.aquariumfertilizer.com or go even cheaper by freezing osmocote(available for little cost at Walmart, garden stores, Home Depot, etc) in ice cube trays with water, then slipping under the plants for a slow release fert.

You really won't need more if you stay with those good old basic plants.

No snail will survive, my GSPs tormented any type and size. They would peck at mystery and nerite. Pond snails given for dental hygiene. Add a dozen ghost shrimp at night. The ones not eaten will know to hide and will only come out at night as a midnight cuc.

Back
Top Bottom