Can I use one of these regulators for CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't know what the second thing you linked goes to, but the other things wont work. A) The attachment will be a different size, and B) they wont be able to handle the pressure of a CO2 tank, which is probably 10x that of a natural gas tank.

Amazon.com: Paintball CO2 Adapter Fill Station Remote On/Off ASA NEW FREE SHIPPING: Sports & Outdoors

This is what you really want its made for paintball CO2 tanks...and it is cheaper.
The links above are for propane tanks for your grill....very low pressure compared to that of CO2.
You do not need a pressure gauge but it does help IMO

Also check out this thread Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos

its a DIY CO2 setup far cheaper than a kit it explains how to assemble everything very well!!

I originally did the DIY paintball co2, but it was more trouble than it was worth. There is no solenoid to keep it consistent, and the Watts needle valve that the thread uses is horrible for holding a bubble count. Do it right the first time and it won't be that much more. I know Milwaukee regulators are trusted by many, but aquatek makes a nice paintball specific regulator that goes for 85$ on amazon.

can I use co2 attachments that are bought at my local welding store...I know that I can get my co2 there...

Thanks everyone. I live in the middle of no where and we have very little choice of anything in this area. The closest Walmart to use is 40 miles and other than that it is mining supply places, car lots, pizza places, and churches. Not a lot of diversity. I found a paintball regulator at aquariumguys.com for $30 and at harborfrieght I found a CO2 regulator with dual gauges for $35. I am trying to make my mind up which one to use. I am also working on a home drink carbonator. My dad used to weld and he has already told me I need to use needle valves and stuff specifically for CO2. I wish he as able to help me but he is 84 years old and almost blind. I called some of the mining supply places but they didn't handle welding supplies. They did give me a number for a welding supply company. It is some distance away but I will be traveling to that area soon and I am going to check it out. I am going to take my time and buy a little at a time to get this setup. My diy setup is working okay I just hate to keep mixing stuff every week. I sometimes forget and that caused a problem with algae.

Another question... Do I need dual gauges? Will just one gauge work?

Honestly your best bet is to just get a ma957 or aquatek setup, it comes with the bubble counter and solenoid so it just makes life easier. I don't know enough about different reg setups to comment on the single vs dual gauge thing.

I originally did the DIY paintball co2, but it was more trouble than it was worth. There is no solenoid to keep it consistent, and the Watts needle valve that the thread uses is horrible for holding a bubble count. Do it right the first time and it won't be that much more. I know Milwaukee regulators are trusted by many, but aquatek makes a nice paintball specific regulator that goes for 85$ on amazon.

Ditto. I went with it at first and grew tired of dialing in the co2 multiple times a day... Save your money and invest in a quality piece of equipment, it'll last you for years... I personally run the GLA V.2 Atomic regulator and never have to adjust it. Unless I want to raise the bps, of course. ;)

The second gauge shows the working pressure, and on an adjustable regulator you will be able to make adjustments a little bit easier. if you get a fix rated dual regulator there really is no point for two gauges
A single gauge will do fine but most come with a fixed rate from what i understand and will differ between brands....so research will be needed before you pick one of those. you can still adjust them with good quality needle valve.
Both work fine you do get what you pay for and i would highly suggest a good brand and high quality since co2 under pressure is around 1000 psi

Also most dual gauges come with a electric solenoid attached....which can be nice for when you do not want to run CO2 mostly at night when the plants are barely if at all using CO2 hook it up to a timer to switch it off and you won't have to adjust it or turn anything on/off yourself

Thanks everyone. I live in the middle of no where and we have very little choice of anything in this area. The closest Walmart to use is 40 miles and other than that it is mining supply places, car lots, pizza places, and churches. Not a lot of diversity. I found a paintball regulator at aquariumguys.com for $30 and at harborfrieght I found a CO2 regulator with dual gauges for $35. I am trying to make my mind up which one to use. I am also working on a home drink carbonator. My dad used to weld and he has already told me I need to use needle valves and stuff specifically for CO2. I wish he as able to help me but he is 84 years old and almost blind. I called some of the mining supply places but they didn't handle welding supplies. They did give me a number for a welding supply company. It is some distance away but I will be traveling to that area soon and I am going to check it out. I am going to take my time and buy a little at a time to get this setup. My diy setup is working okay I just hate to keep mixing stuff every week. I sometimes forget and that caused a problem with algae.

Another question... Do I need dual gauges? Will just one gauge work?

do you have a welding shop/store? they may have what you need if youre handy...

Back
Top Bottom