Can you "cut" up a marimo ball and "root" it or use it as floor somewhere?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MC1973

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can you "cut" up a marimo ball and "root" it or use it as floor somewhere?

I have seen people cut up marimo balls and tie them up again so they ball up so they can have multiple balls...but I haven't seen anybody try and make a floor with these...is it possible to do?

Is it possible to cut up a marimo ball and tie it to a piece of wood and hope it attaches on?

I have also heard that these do not do as well if they are not in ball form...

mine have been cut up for about 2 months now and are even greener than when i got them. everynow and again i squize them into a ball form to get some debris off them and they plop right back into the flat shape they were before. never tried a carpet with them. driftwood is hard because morimo is a slow grower and it needs light all around or it will die

I haven't ever seen anyone make a carpet with them. They are just a kind of algae... They need to be squeezed out every now and then as mentioned and also rotated or the side that isn't getting light will rot.

Is this like what's sold as a (common) moss ball at LFS? Looked similar to mine when I went to plantgeek.net, but not quite.

I have one my fancy fantail likes to use as a toy and it's torn up some, so I was thinking of taking it apart and stuffing some along wide gaps that a peice of DW has. Would it propigate like that or does it just want to "ball up"?

FYI: I'm trying to get a kind of a decaying fallen log in the forest moss affect look. All the other mosses are to stringy to get this look.

Sorry if I went OT :(

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom