canister filter media setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomasm87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't have any experience with canister filters. I've never had one. But im planning on getting a Canister filter for the 29 gallon tank that ill have moderately planted. I've been considering a Fluval 305 or a Eheim 2213. On the fluval i was planning on having coarse pad, carbon filter, and the last two baskets fluval biomax rings. with the Eheim is was planning about the same coarse pad, carbon pad, the bio media for the rest.

That was what i was planning. How do you all setup your filters? What do you all use in a planted tank?

I have an eheim 2217, and I just use the media it came with, minus the carbon pad. It works fine.

Also, for a 29, you might appreciate the extra umph of a 2215. If it's too much, it's super easy to reduce the flow on eheims.

What media does it come with?

Why not a carbon pad? And will the biological bacteria be enough to keep the water clear?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fine filtration ceramic noodles, coarse sponge, Eheim's biomedia, then fine filtration.

Short of removing medication, there's really no reason to use carbon in FW tanks.

+1 on the carbon. Some people will even tell you that its bad for plants because it absorbs nutrients that the plants would. It's also expensive to replace every month or so. Most tanks should only need mechanical and biological filtration.

If tour tank has lots of driftwood and you don't want the brown tannins in your water you could keep a package of Purigen just to keep your water clear. It's a much better, and cheaper, option than carbon for planted tanks. Otherwise just run mechanical and biological media.

how deep should the fine noodles and bio media need to be? I know what bio media eheim has. The Eheim substrat pro. but what is the ceramic noodles called? can't seem to find them except from Fluval. Are Fluval products good to use in an eheim. fluval media is easier to find and purchase.

Back
Top Bottom