Cleaning up the Cherry Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dapellegrini

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A few weeks back I had to make a quick trip to the LFS to pick up what was to be a temporary home of my soon to arrive Cherry Shrimp while I found new homes for the larger fish in the big tank, where I wanted to put them...

Well all of the big fish have found new homes and I had moved 8 RCS over a while back, but the rest are hard to catch, so finally last night, disgusted by the fact that snails had COMPLETELY overrun the 3g tank, I decided it was time to push the reset button... I was able to find 12 more good sized shrimp that were not carrying eggs (now living in the 72g) and was very surprised to find 4 MORE pregnant shrimp!!! Counting up the mothers-to-be and all of the very small fry, I think there are still at least 20 that I have left in the small tank to either grow up or give birth.

So a few pictures. Here is the tank just before cleaning it.

DSC07194.JPG

As I mentioned, I was completely overrun with snails. What started as a few Nerites, ended up being dozens or hundreds of Ramhorn (red, speckled, etc) and pond snails, with egg sacks EVERYWHERE. When I put in waffers, the shrimp literally could got get a space in edge-wise, with all of the snails hording in on whatever I put in there...

The pictures just don't do it justice...

DSC07200.JPG

Since this tank's status has changed from temporary to semi-permenant, I decided I would try some new things... I was looking for new substrate in a white / light color and Petsmart simply didn't have anything interesting... So I ended up stopping by the local pool store (LPS I think that would be) and picked up a 50lb bag of filter sand... Way too much, but that was the smallest size bag they had, and it was only $9.

I anchored my Java Ferns to a piece small piece of lava rock, cleaned up the wood a bit, etc. Now that the dust has settled, there are a lot of things I would like to move around some more, but I think I am going to leave it be for now. Looks like a 0 casualty make-over for the shrimp:

DSC07265.JPG

DSC07271.JPG

DSC07274.JPG

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also have 8 Bee Shrimp in there... I learned that the Bee Shrimp would cross with my CRS so they got the smaller tank, while the CRS went into the bigger one...

I was a little worried about the Nerites, as they didn't seem to like the sand, but I have since seen them gliding across the sand like nothing was.

Tank stats: 3 gallon Eclipse all-in-one - Built-in 3-stage filter - 6 watt T5 light. I put a pre-filter on the intake to try and keep the fry in the tank.

8 Nerites - ~20 RCS - 8 Bee Shrimp - And I think I saw one MTS and 1 red Ramhorn that somehow evaded my snail genecide. - 1 Anabius - 1 bunch of Anachris - 1 java fern - some kind of moss

Here's a peak under the hood on this little guy:

DSC07279.JPG

Oh and the plants seem to be doing ok in there, even with that pitiful light...

RK, do you mean I need snails, or I have Multi-Tank syndrome? .... Both are probably true. :) At one point I had over 12 tanks.

dapellegrini said:
RK, do you mean I need snails, or I have Multi-Tank syndrome? .... Both are probably true. :) At one point I had over 12 tanks.

:lol:

I just keep seeing more tanks. but 12 tanks, man. My wife would leave me before I could have that many tanks. (That may be a good trade off. :idea: )

Ya, that was a long time ago...

When I left home and eventually got married there was a fairly rapid reduction to 1 (the current one) and it has been that way for the last 8 years or so now. I am not considering the 3g a true second tank ;)

Look very nice. In that first pick (before the teardown), I swore your anacharis had done a loop at the surface and then back down until I realized it was 2 separate plants).

Nerites are originally SW/brackish, so I'm sure they have seen their fair share of PFS (essentially beach sand). I have pond snails, and MTS and they can CRUISE across the substrate like nothing else.

And I'm doing virtually the opposite of what you just did, took my 10gallon QT tank and have turned it into a snail palace. Put a couple MTS in there, and have been cleaning my filters on both the main 20gallon and this 10gallon QT and removing all of the pond snails and placing them in the 10gallon. I have a single cherry barb that is being punished :) in the 10gallon along with the snails, and while I have not seen him directly eat the egg sacs, I'm surprised the snail population hasn't exploded as I've heard it can. I have pretty hard water (10degrees) and add in small amounts of calcium chloride as well, but just can't get the exponential growth I keep hearing these guys can create...

LOL... Really too bad we don't live closer. I could have given you a huge colony of snails... My biggest problem was ramhorn of all kinds... They made a royal mess of my tank in very short order. It started to look very dirty with egg sacks EVERYWHERE... And with no natural predators it was not looking like it was going to get any better.

The pond snails that I had seemed to reproduce much, much slower, as well as the MTS, FWIW... I also have very hard water (13 degrees)

It appears that RCS are much more tolerant of dosing than many other varieties of shrimp. Many people have reported dosing full EI with RCS with no issues. In smaller tanks this often involves using Flourish Excel instead of DIY or Pressurized CO2. At recommended dosing levels you shouldn't have any troubles, however there has been little experimentation with overdosing Excel in RCS tanks that I've read. So if you are planning to overdose Excel to help treat algae, then you should proceed with care.

I haven't personally used Excel with RCS yet, but plan to give it a try when I set up my pico. I am however using EI with the shrimp in my breeding tank, and have seen absolutely no ill affects due to the fertilizers.

I have been dosing EI in my shrimp/snail tank with no negative results that I have seen,
however I have modified the KNO3 dosage down a bit to make life easier for them.

Just thought I'd ask about the Excel for obvious reasons. I inject a low ppm of CO2 and everything seems to be working well.

Len

Back
Top Bottom