co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's no difference. CO2 injection is used as a carbon source for plants when your fish aren't exhaling enough to keep nutrient levels in balance.

No, its not like that. Your tank will have about 7ppm co2 without injecting any. When you inject co2, you get it to somewhere between 30-40ppm. This lets the plants out-compete the algae. Without co2 in a high light tank, you'll have a mess of several kinds of algae.

mfd nailed it. A heavy fish load helps to a small degree, but it's not a replacement for CO2 injection on a high-light tank.

On smaller tanks, yes. On anything over 30 gallons, its really a hassle to get consistent co2... and inconsistency once again spells algae.

You're looking at anywhere from $150-300+ depending on what you buy, what you DIY, and what you decide you don't want. pH controllers are going to push you on up towards that $300+. Just a simple setup with a regulator, cylinder, DIY reactor, and drop checker, you're looking at about $150

There are, but those are the ones that cost more... you can get a regulator/solenoid/needle valve/bubble counter/co2 tubing combo at eseasongear.com for $89. That's what I got. Then the cylinder you can get on amazon or kegerator.com for about $50... then the drop checker you can get on ebay for a couple dollars. The reactor you can make youself out of PVC for just the cost of the PVC pieces.

12k isn't a unit of light intensity. We need wattage and light output type: T5 fluorescent, Metal halide. power compact etc. 12k refers to the color of the bulb. This color isn't optimal for plant growth. I suggest anywhere from 6000-10000k for plants.

The light is a power compact. 4x96w. When I bought it. The add said 10k. But come to find out they are 2 12k and 2 actinic bulbs. Are my plants going to be ok or should I get some new bulbs?

The actinic bulbs won't do your plants any good. Replace the actinics with something in the 6500K-10000K range. The 12000K bulbs are a bit on the blue end of things, but they should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom