CO2 equipment to purchase advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hollie526

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone and thanks for any help in advance,

I am going to be purchasing my first CO2 system for my 65 gallon tank. I want to make sure I am ordering the right items.
In this tank are 4 Pea Puffers a Beta and 1 Mystery snail. Lighting system is AquaticLife 6x39 watt. Fluval G6 and Eheim 2026 filters. Fluval Advanced heater 100. I set up this tank to grow awesome plants but I think that the only way is with a CO2 system that I have wanted since I set it up over a year ago. Algae is a big issue in this tank and Excel does not seem to cut it. I am hoping to buy everything in one purchase so I have everything I need.

I need some help with decisions like the reactor, timer, ph controller, the tank Im hoping to use, certain items Im not sure if I need them, and which type of check valve I should get, is a Dulpa check valve brass or is there a better choice? I also have a few questions. Im either going to buy a package deal (listed below) or separate pieces if the Ph controller is not necessary.

Does anyone use a Ph controller and a timer? Is there a benefit to using both? If I understand it the timer shuts off the CO2 when lights are off and this is my goal, but will my Ph be always out of whack without the Ph controller? Is the calibration solution for the Ph controller?
Do I need a Subminiture Quick Disconnect?
Is a Dulpa Visual Indicator the same thing as a Glass Drop Checker? Which one is best to order?

Package Deal
JBJ Combo system co2 regulator, bubble counter, solenoid valve automatic ph shutoff sms122
Sale
Package co2 system deal by JBJ on SALE.
All Aquarium Carbon dioxide Automated injection Packages will include Items below. Please use the option boxes to add other add on items.

1 Jbj co2 regulator ( includes solenoid valve)
1 Milwaukee instruments ph - co2 controller sms 122
12 feet of tubing co2 proof not the junk others will give you
1 bubble counter screws in to the regulator
Bubble counter fluid
2 bottles of 7.0 calibration solution
1 bottle of electrode cleaning solution for the sms122 ph controller

Im going to use a 20lb tank that my son had with compressed air which I had him empty out unless it is advised to me that this is not safe. This tank looks shiny and new. Also going to get a Perma-Seal as I read it is a good choice.

The choices for diffuser/reactor, which one is best for my 65gallon tank? Less headache and hoping not to later upgrade. Also if there is a better reactor than listed below please tell me and I wont add it to my cart, i can buy it separate.
Either of these listed below
1- Aquamedic 100 or Boyu spiral
2-Membrane CO2 reactor
3- Aquamedic 500 reactor
4- Aquamedic M reactor
5- Aquamedic 1000

Thank You So Much!

PH swings from co2 are not bad for fish because co2 does not burn KH . PH swings from KH fluctuations is bad

as far as reactor you can build one , ive had mine for about 2 years working perfectly. $10 bucks

http://www.rexgrigg.com/diy-reactor.htm

Last edited:
I have a nice inline reactor/ diffuser for my G6 from aquariumplants.com

I have been looking at those are they the aquariumplants own brand? I have been looking at the Carbon Doser 2 is there any truth to the claims that if I buy a setup it will crap out?
Was also looking at the AquaticLife CO2 Regulator with Lighted Solenoid
More confused now with which one is the best to purchase

I bought the entire setup. Love it. Also bought a drop checker to be safe.

I bought the entire setup. Love it. Also bought a drop checker to be safe.

So you ordered the Ultimate system?
How do I know if the tank I have can safely hold CO2? No the label it says CGA C-7-2000 same label with the date stamp. It needs to get approved again even though it is new, only time it was used was to empty the compressed air out.

I'm running this guy (except when I bought it it gave an MC122 pH controller) + a mazzei 584C running off a fluval 205. The mazzei is a venturi injector which accelerates the fluid, dropping the pressure, which results in a partial vacuum. Depending on the pressure drop, you can get anything from microbubbles to fully dissolved CO2. I found the bypass circuit a bit too bulky, and found that running of a 205 gives a nice sized bubble.

Here's something to get you started:

Selecting a mazzei for CO2 and closed loop filtration systems

As for timer vs pH controller, the latter makes life pretty easy. Getting a good balance is tricky and takes a lot of tweaking as overdosing CO2 is very easy with pressurized CO2 and drop checkers take awhile to equilibriate.

Regarding the use of a pH probe for CO2, I view it as a total luxury. Honestly, I personally don't see any advantage to it over the standard constant-flow method that you would be using otherwise, and it just adds something else that can gum up your works. I don't use one, and don't really see myself using one in the future.

Expensive regulators are nice, but you quickly get into diminishing returns with them.You can easily spend $250+ on a regulator that only functions marginally better than a $90 Milwaukee or Aquatek regulator in limited circumstances (note:there's an argument to be made for dual stage regs and EOTD, but I find in unconvincing).

For diffusion, is space going to be an issue for you? An inline atomizer from GLA (or in-tank) take up virtually no space and work great, although the bubbles in tank are not liked by everyone.

Back
Top Bottom