co2 formula/ ratio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aviran

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've looked around and everyone uses different formulas for their DIY co2 set ups... question is.. Is there a ratio that should be used? I tried using a 1 gallon water bottle and I am not sure if my mix is working. It's not bubbling regularly and I can not find any signs of a leak.

thanks

How old is your mix?

It can take up to 24 hours for it to really get going.
I like to leak test by assembling everything, then blowing from the end of my co2 tubing back into the jug. If you can pressurize it, and it holds pressure you know it's not leaking.

Standard mix for a 1 gallon would be 4 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp of yeast and fill it about 3/4 up with water.

i made it last night so about 12 hours now. I used 4 cups of sugar, 1.5 tsp of yeast and 1 tsp of baking soda and about 3/4 the way with water. I didn't try that blowing test. I tried looking for soap bubbles... but i guess that wouldn't work if its not pressurize...

this is what happens when making something when you are sick and should be in bed....

thanks for your help. I'll redo it tonight if its not bubbling when i get home.

basic ratio is 1cup sugar for each liter of water. 3.8liters to a gallon, so 4 cups is a smidge more than necessary, but it won't hurt anything.
Way too much yeast. You ONLY ever need 1/8th tsp, and its best to proof that bit of yeast in lukewarm water...about 90 degrees F max...85F is perfect. Let it sit in that for 10 mins or so, then add it to your jug of sugar water.

Baking soda is totally optional, and IMO not needed at all unless you have super soft tap water.

Fill the jug with water but leave 2-3" of air space at the top. Its also a good idea to shake it vigorously right before addign the proofed yeast. Yeast needs oxygen for the first 36 hours of its life cycle. NEVER shake it once you've added the yeast.

Recheck all your fittings and make sure they are tight.

Yea the yeast method is kinda hit or miss. I've had mixes that just didn't work for whatever reason... I just remake them.

I use 2Ls per 10gals, 1 cup of sugar and 1/8-1/16tsp yeast per L. I use two bottles and change one bottle weekly (each mixture runs for two weeks). Under high light, I am of the opinion that efficient diffusors are more important than the mix, and changing simple mixes weekly is easier than changing complicated mixes occasionally. I find that keeping nominal levels above 30ppm CO2 ensures that the variance in output from DIY is not important. (I do not have BBA and like algae with the output at 30-40ppm CO2, but have with 20-30ppm CO2.) Just my opinion and experience. :)

Back
Top Bottom