CO2 Injector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Holokai

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, I've decided to go with a CO2 injector, rather than build my own. I have some heavy duty lighting, and have been advised that a pressurized system is the way to go. That said, I'm at aloss as to what I need for this to work. I found this injector and can get a good deal on it. What else does one need for this to work? I read about a reactor being useful for dispersion of CO2 into the water, are there any good ones to buy, or should I make my own? Where can I pick up a CO2 canister?

Thanks for the info

- Chris

You will also need a needle valve to control flow and a bubble counter to measure the injection rate. I got my CO2 bottle at the local welding supply place. They sell all types of gasses too. The bottle is much more expensive than the CO2 inside. I paid $100 for a full 20 lb bottle that should last a year. Refills are only about $20. Be careful of buying old empty bottles because the must be certified before anyone will fill them.

Ok, I want you to have your terminology correct first.

The link you provided is to a CO2 regulator, not an 'injector'
If you're gonna spend $85 on that regulator, can I suggest this one instead?
http://www.ereeftank.com/customer/product.php?productid=279&cat=0&page=
It's got your needle valve and bubble counter built-in, plus a solonoid so you can easily add a pH controller in the future, should the need arise.

Besides welding shops, fire extinguisher stores sell CO2 tanks too. I'd call a welding shop tho, cuz usually you can put a security deposit on one, and then when it's empty you just bring it in, pay for a refill, and they give you a different tank. This saves a lot of time, and if you decide to quit planted tanks, you can get your deposit back. Also, my welding shop doesn't fill tanks on Saturdays, which is the only day I can get to their location. They'll swap leased tanks, but will NOT fill your personal one.
By leasing, you know that thes tanks have been certified. If you buy your own, it costs like $30 every few years to get it tested, and they keep the tank for a day or so, which means you're without CO2 in the aquarium.

Thanks for the information, savga and malkore. I like that regulator much better, malkore, thanks for the link.

If I snag that regulator and a CO2 tank(probably by deposit if I can) am I good to go? or do I need more stuff, like a reactor? or is that just for homemade CO2 units?

- Chris

You will need a reactor, either a DIY with PVC pipe and nipples, or you could buy a reactor from Robert at http://www.aquabotanic.com/abstore/index.html or Marcus at www.aquatic-store.com for about $60 for the reactor 1000. Its for really big tanks.

Here is a post from our excellent Mr. Burns on this forum who found a great link and design for a DIY reactor:

"the best way to do a reactor is to put it in-line with your filter return line. as for your concerns over that, the proper reactor design will alleviate that problem. rex has a very good reactor design in his FAQ, but the best i have seen so far is http://www.hoftiezer.net/personal/aquaria/aquaria_construction_co2reactor.htm . That's the one i'll be building. as for the rise time...if you the co2 is properly dissolved in a well-designed reactor, this won't be a concern...in fact, many people that have built the reactor linked to above say the bubbles dissolve completely before they even get to the bio-balls.

no tube needed inside the tank except from the filter return line. hth"

I built my own for about $20 bucks, but at one point I definitely wished I had bought one when a design change yielded me a very small water leak (which eventually and amazingly healed itself and went away). Second times the charm. HTH.

ps...I have heard of others who threw in the towel and ended up buying one. But if you really plan it out, it will work right the first time, theoretically. Of course that's how we learn, from our mistakes. Goodluck, Bob

Excellent information! That looks like a fairly easy reactor as well. I'll let you know how it goes!!

i made a new reactor! after talking with james hoftiezer about some design changes, it's much better looking and more practical. i'll try and get some pictures of it up later on tonight....

holokai - the DIY reactors are really easy to do even if you don't have much experience with the stuff. if you decide to go DIY, toss me a private message or instant message me and i'll walk you through it as best i can.

ok, here's a bad pic of the new reactor. just to give you an idea of how bad this little logitech cam is - that's a red folder the reactor is sitting on....

gross length is about 15.5"...with the hose connections screwed in it comes to about 17". i decided to go with a 6" center section because what i used before was total overkill. the original reactor could barely fit under my stand! the clear pvc has a slight blue tint to it and is very expensive. but, i figured if i'm going to be carrying out a project of this magnitude with the stand and the tank and the canopy and all that, i had better do things right the first time and do them the way i want them. also, i learned that the pvc can be dyed black quite easily and is completely safe. if i make another reactor, i will give the dye a shot.

i'll try to borrow a decent camera from somebody soon....

Back
Top Bottom