CO2 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

punky

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I have pressurized CO2 in a 55g. I switch it off during the night using a timer and then switch on an airpump to help oxygenate the tank. CO2 monitoring is done using a calibrated PH meter and test for KH and then use the table for reference. The thing is during the day I maintain a PH level of 6.7 - 6.9. But during the night it decreases to 7.5 because of the circulation. Also during the day it takes time to rise back to the desired range.

Am I not supplying enough CO2?

Thanks.

I would use a CO2 drop checker with a calibrated KH solution to find out what your CO2 really is. (See the sticky at the top of the forum)

As far as O2. There is no need to run an air pump during the night. If your plants are growing well, then you are only removing O2 and not adding it.

EDIT: I would turn on the CO2 about 1/2 hour prior to the lights coming on. This will allow the CO2 to come up much faster.

Thanks rkilling1 :) I will remove the airpump then. Also are there any methods of removing the scum from the top?

Clean your dirty bottom....

:butt:

I mean, I find my water surface stays clearer longer, if I keep substrate surface cleaner. Alternately, you could just add some water turbulance from your filter to your nightly routine, instead, or in addition of the bubbler.

Back
Top Bottom