Diatom help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have diatoms in my tank. But it only infested 2 of the plants and minimal of the glass. I've had them for quite a while. It's at the point where if I scrub it off, it doesn't come back. Now to my question.

The plants heavily infested with diatoms is 1 with super thin leaves and 1 with bigger leaves. All the new stems it shot out doesn't have diatoms. So would it be worth it to get rid of all the infested plants? Or will they eventually recover? The most infected ones have lost most of their leaves.

I would either try to wipe the diatoms off or cut the leaves off that have the diatoms on it. The diatoms are self limiting so since you are past your initial growth there shouldn't be a problem anytime soon unless something changes.

I have diatoms in my tank. But it only infested 2 of the plants and minimal of the glass. I've had them for quite a while. It's at the point where if I scrub it off, it doesn't come back. Now to my question. The plants heavily infested with diatoms is 1 with super thin leaves and 1 with bigger leaves. All the new stems it shot out doesn't have diatoms. So would it be worth it to get rid of all the infested plants? Or will they eventually recover? The most infected ones have lost most of their leaves.

Do some research on treating algae with peroxide. Basically you take the infected plants out and get two containers of aquarium water. You add the peroxide to one, and soak the plants in the solution for a few minutes. Then rinse them in the clean aquarium water.

I don't really know any more details, like how much to put in the bowl you're treating in, but I would suggest that you empty and refill the rinsing bowl a few times. I am sure someone out there has written something on how I do this.

What plants are we talking about here? But I guess the obvious question is why don't you just scrub off the diatoms and call it good? Using peroxide to get rid of diatoms sounds like overkill to me, especially if a tooth brush will get the job done just as well.

What plants are we talking about here? But I guess the obvious question is why don't you just scrub off the diatoms and call it good? Using peroxide to get rid of diatoms sounds like overkill to me, especially if a tooth brush will get the job done just as well.

Mayaca fluvialtis, bacopa, and moneywort. The mayaca is my main problem. And even the bacopa is hard.

I got some oto's and they are cleaning up the diatoms in my tank nicely

Ya me too. Oto's definitely taking care of problem. I have 3 in 55g tank. And they are algae eating machines

Mayaca has leaves that are like little sewing needles. And bacopa has relatively small leaves also. I don't find it plausible to get otos for 1 plant.

Try using a toothbrush on it against a flat surface.

That's what worked with the front glass... I think my sand finally stopped leeching silicates because it seems like the diatoms are going away. Ill give it a week or 2 before I start brushing leaves.

Back
Top Bottom