Different Activator/Stabilzer for Hagen CO2 Plant System?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Myriad

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Do any of you have your own concoction that you sucessfully use in your Hagen CO2 system or do you stick with the available replacement packets?

If you have your own, what exactly do you use?

The packets are a big rip-off.
The activator is yeast, you can buy bread yeast at the grocery store for Much Cheaper. Amount to use each time, 1/2 teaspoon.
I've heard some people use wine yeast, supposedly lasts longer and is more consistent with co2 production. Probably have to order that online, unless you have a home wine-making shop in your area.
The stabilizer is baking soda, which you likely have in the house already. Obviously also available at the grocery store. Amount to use each time, 1/2 teaspoon.

Somebody else please chime in here, I'm not 100% sure on the 1/2 teaspoon thing. (I switched over to all pressurized co2 about a year ago now.)

1/4tsp for the yeast. I'm pretty sure you can go 1/2tsp or more on the baking soda to stablize the mix.

In mine I use half a packet of wine yeast (its cheap online), a few pinches of baking soda and a squirt of maple syrup with a little more table sugar than they recommend. It lasts approx 1 1/2 - 2 weeks depending how hot it is in the room. That thing bubbles like mad! within an hour its goin full blast.

Montrachet or premier cuvee from red star are really good.

http://www.leeners.com/index.html

I just changed out the mixture on my Hagen CO2 System and I measured the contents of the packets. Amounts are as follows:
1/8 tsp Activator (Yeast)
1 tsp Stabilizer (Baking Soda)

I've read elsewhere that the Yeast in the packet is probably Champagne Yeast, and when you're water is especially hard to use only half of the Stabilizer.

When I run out of packets I plant to substitute:
1/8 tsp Champagne Yeast
1/2 tsp Baking Soda

I've read lots of success with RedStar Pasteur Champagne Yeast and will probably order it from ebrew.com in a couple of weeks. They've got the best price on the yeast and shipping I've found so far.

Costco sells a large package ( one pound or more ) of yeast for $2.65. I use it for my 55g planted tank.

Alternative Approach

I am new to the ackvadium forums and such so please excuse my newbosity if this is the wrong place to mention such things but . . .

I have a hagen. I got the 3 packet deal of there's at first and then saw oodles of recipes on line. Then I talked to some people who know a thing or two about yeast. Here is a much easier and simpler approach that has been working for me for 5 months running.

Use the approved and amazing Hagen yeast packets as instructed for the first batch. Thereafter, empty half the cannister and replace half the sugar and half the water forever.

Yeast is like that . . .

There are funner places to spend your ackvadium time . . .

grendelcat,

very true, yeast is self-propagating if you give it the right food. However, the funk that'll build up in that un-cleaned grey canister will haunt you for decades ;)

Back
Top Bottom