Dissolving plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Whats the deal with this?

When I brought this plant (what is it, anyway?) back from petco, it had a tiny bit of this dissolving stuff on the tip, I thought it'd just fix itself but its been slowly creeping up the leaf over the past few days.

I'm not fertilizing, no CO2, and I just cut my light back today to 1.25wpg until I get CO2. Water params are all fine.

TIA!

img_634352_0_4412f07476f4f86efc41201a703d986a.jpg

img_634352_1_a7f86f478d3b92b1ba932ab94004e35b.jpg

Yepp, I agree. I've never seen a plant like this in any aquarium plant database. I would say there is nothing you can do, plus, if it dies like that it can pollute your water quality.

Looks like a Dracaena sanderiana, which is definitely a non-aquatic plant. Unfortunately, there are many more like that which are sold as aquatics at LFS. Gotta be careful.

Yeah I have those growing and flourishing in the ground in my backyard. Definately not aqua life plants. And yes, the "disolving" is how that particular plant's leaf dies. The leaf part dies and disentigrates leaving a "skeleton" of veins. I reccomend pulling them and planting them, they make nice house decor. They are relatively easy to care for. Water them 2 to 3 times a week and they will be happy, but watering them 24/7 they won't :p .

exodus said:
Whats the deal with this?

When I brought this plant (what is it, anyway?) back from petco, it had a tiny bit of this dissolving stuff on the tip, I thought it'd just fix itself but its been slowly creeping up the leaf over the past few days.

I'm not fertilizing, no CO2, and I just cut my light back today to 1.25wpg until I get CO2. Water params are all fine.

TIA!
I made the mistake of buying one of these too once, :( they are NOT aquatic they are for terrariums, they will NOT survive submerged, Petco should know better then to sell as aquatic plants :x

Back
Top Bottom