DIY CO2: Molasses? Protein Mix? Whats the Purpose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

outofstep

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been searching for DIY CO2 recipes, and those two ingredients have been mentioned ocassionly. Anyone know the reasoning behind adding those two ingredients?

molasses is just gonna have a few more things in it besides pure sugar..and these things will help the yeast thrive...at least that's the theory.
same with protein powder.

having home brewed for a few years in the past, I can tell you neither is required. Best thing to add besides yeast, sugar and water, is a little lemon juice (yeast like a slightly acidic environment), and some yeast nutrient, which youc an buy at a homebrew store.

Haha now I'm confused. I've heard of adding baking soda to make the process last longer by keeping the Ph within a range that is suitable for the yeast. So are you saying its better to start with a slightly acidic water and go from there?

I'm currently experimenting with a Jello recipe. What do you think about adding baking soda to the jello mix and then once that sets adding the yeast, lemon juice, and water?

From reading what he said, the lemo juice makes the yeast react faster (i assume thats what 'happier' yeast means).

During the reaction between yeast and sugar the water in the tank turns to toxic to the yeast, the baking soda will delay the point thatthe water becomes so toxic the yeast dies... or at least that is my understanding.

Back
Top Bottom