DIY cO2 reactor from sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TommyPickles

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Guys. This is my first post on Aquarium Advice so thanks for the add!

I had an idea for a cO2 reactor build that I'd appreciate some advice on and hope this is the right place for it.

I am in the process of setting up my 120g with 40g sump. I plan on making it a planted aquarium. It has dual overflows and I was planning on 3/4" returns with 1" drains. My next thought was for the cO2 reactor.

I really like the homemade DIY version a lot of you guys have built with PVC. Simple, cost effective, and does the job. My thought is to build one between 26"-28". Due to the size of the tank I've read it should be slightly larger than the original 24" plans.

I like the idea of the homemade inline reactor but I'm not completely understanding where it would go (as far as the output). I also read since I have a sump I should dedicate a separate pump to just the reactor, still though I'm unsure where the output would go.

Upon searching for some things I came across this FLO rotating water deflector for almost $12, found at FLO Rotating Water Deflector - Hydor - Bulk Reef Supply . What if I built a long "U" shape using some curved 90 degrees and had the output from the reactor feed directly into the tank via this deflector? I'm not the best at explaining, so maybe my poorly drawn pictures will be helpful.:angel:

On the return end I'm thinking a T off the pump to both returns with one side "T"ed to about 1/2" reducer. From there I can add the reactor.

OR

On the return end come off the pump with a 4 way, sides going to the returns and straight up for the reactor off a reducer.

OR

Dedicate a small pump (90-100GPH) from the sump, through the reactor, and out of the reflector.

Do you guys think this has potential? If not, maybe instead of going up to the DT I can use the same type of output method to just circulate that water within the sump?

I have read that it would wear out plastic parts quicker from cO2, but if the piece is $12 I don't mind buying a few to change out if something happens to it.

I do apologize if I wasn't completely clear or if I posted this in the wrong section, but let me know what you think! Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• reactor 1.jpg
    reactor 1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 40
  • reactor 2.jpg
    reactor 2.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 38
  • reactor 3.jpg
    reactor 3.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 51
Back
Top Bottom