DIY light questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pistolero

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm setting up a 55. The only lights I have are the 15w fluorescents that come with the basic setup.
I have a wooden canopy to work with. I was in home depot today looking for ideas. Our HD is next door to a petsmart. At the petsmart I can get a 28 watt 48" t5 fixture with a bulb for 70 dollars. At the HD I can get a 28 watt 48" t5 fixture with a bulb for 29 dollars. Now the one they had up on the display didn't look all that bright and it was pretty yellowish, I realize the bulb that comes with the home depot light will probably not be any good for plants and will be replaced.
So would the Home Depot fixture not be as bright as the "aquarium" fixture if they had the same bulbs in them? They are small enough I could easily put 3 or 4 of them in the canopy.
I was also looking at putting 3 or 4 27 watt spiral cfl's with reflectors in there. (Instead of the t5's, they wouldn't all fit).
I don't want to spend 3 or 4 hundred bucks on lights. I just want to be able to have a decent choice of live plants I can grow, basic easier stuff like java moss, wisteria, cabomba and such. Just don't want to be too limited by low light.
So which way should I go?

EDIT: Well on second thought, the canopy is 13" deep and the reflectors for the spiral cfl's are 8" round. I might be able to fit 2 of the strip fixtures and 4 of the cfl's between them. That would be 56 watts of t5 lights and around 100 watts of cfl's. I think that sounds pretty good for a 55???

I'm using 2. 2700k cfls in my 10 gallon. As far as reflectors, I'm not sure what it means but I built my own top made from sheet metal. The top is black and the inside is shinny silver. They are nice and I have 2 sword plants that sprout a new leaf every 3 days

Reflectors are definitely good but I think you should go to 6500 K's to 10,000 K's and you will have brighter light and better plant growth. 2700 K is very yellow.

pistolero said:
Reflectors are definitely good but I thik you should go to 6500 K's to 10,000 K's and you will have brighter light and better plant growth. 2700 K is very yellow.

What are reflectors if you don't mind me asking. And sorry for intruding on thhis thread but where can I get builds that powerful

It actually doesn't take a really extreme light setup to grow most plants.

What size tank is this? Those light strips are pretty cheap but I think the reflectors are extra.

If you are looking for affordability, there are oddysea 2x54w fixtures on ebay for around $65 shipped.

jetajockey said:
It actually doesn't take a really extreme light setup to grow most plants.

What size tank is this? Those light strips are pretty cheap but I think the reflectors are extra.

If you are looking for affordability, there are oddysea 2x54w fixtures on ebay for around $65 shipped.

Well mine is a 10g and I have 2 2700k cfls on it now. Someone said I need atleast 6500k so I know you know alot here jeta so any help is great

yeah, you want to get some daylight bulbs for that jonathan, somewhere around 6500k give or take will work best. A basic 2700k bulb doesn't typically have the right spectrum for plants.

jetajockey said:
yeah, you want to get some daylight bulbs for that jonathan, somewhere around 6500k give or take will work best. A basic 2700k bulb doesn't typically have the right spectrum for plants.
Okay thanks. By any chance where can I get some with 6500k

o.jonathan.o said:
Okay thanks. By any chance where can I get some with 6500k

I have some 25 Watt screw ins from Walmart that said they were for growing plants but didn't say the Kelvin. Will those work till I pick up some better ones

I have some 25 Watt screw ins from Walmart that said they were for growing plants but didn't say the Kelvin. Will those work till I pick up some better ones

Yes! 2 screw in CFL bulbs in a 10 works great. I have 2 10 watt 10,000K CFL's in a 10 gallon that is cycling right now and it's growing hornwort and cabomba like crazy. 2700K is just a little too "yellow" to be ideal, and any bulbs closer to 6500, 6700, or 10,000 in the same fixture will be much better for plant growth.

pistolero said:
Yes! 2 screw in CFL bulbs in a 10 works great. I have 2 10 watt 10,000K CFL's in a 10 gallon that is cycling right now and it's growing hornwort and cabomba like crazy. 2700K is just a little too "yellow" to be ideal, and any bulbs closer to 6500, 6700, or 10,000 in the same fixture will be much better for plant growth.

I will look for those when I get paid. About How much would they cost.

So I got my 2 new 6500k cfl bulbs today and they are bright and really nice.

See

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110817_143200.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110817_143200.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom