Dosing for Cyanobacteria in a nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXaggie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi ya'll! I've got a quick question about treating cyano in my 2.5 gallon nano. It started off with a very tiny spot back when I dry started the tank, and I thought it was gone. However, in the last few weeks it's cropped up again. The tank currently gets some indirect sun and our days are getting longer so I think that may be the main contributing factor to the issue. It also is a low flow betta tank, just a sponge filter and 50% weekly WC.

My question is this: I have some maracyn 2 (1 package to be exact) that I was hoping to use to dose the tank. Is it safe to try to guesstimate separating the packet into 4 doses? Will that even be enough to kill the cyano? The prescribed dose is 1 package per 10 gallons.

If this is a terrible idea, is easier option available? Something that can be dosed safely for a smaller tank?

Thanks!!

I think you actually want maracyn 1 for cyano... Its erythromycin. You might try a 3-4 day blackout before medicating, it may work and certainly cant hurt.

I think you actually want maracyn 1 for cyano... Its erythromycin. You might try a 3-4 day blackout before medicating, it may work and certainly cant hurt.

Gotcha, maracyn 1. Maybe I will try a blackout, I think I'm going to move the tank to a different location this week anyway. Since it's so small I at least have some options! Where it's at right now it's almost impossible to really do a blackout since it's in my kitchen and there's almost always some light on. Haha, I think I have my husband to talked into letting me put it in our bedroom...

On an off topic note, I also have twins! Mine are 16 months. I'm glad I'm not the only fish nerd crazy enough to have aquariums and small children!

You can also try spot treating the cyano with hydrogen peroxide 3% or liquid carbon. Manually remove as much of it as possible then turn off the filter, draw up 1-3ml of their peroxide or liquid carbon, then slowly squirt the cyano. Leave filters off 20 minutes. Just be very careful if you have delicate shrimp. This will often kill the cyano. Then if you do a black out for 3 days you might be able to kill it off without using antibiotics.

Kids and aquariums are a great combo!! I have 2 yr old twin girls and they love helping me feed and watch the fish. Im cycling a new 55 gallon and they keep asking "where the fish?" Im not sure who is more impatient, them or me!! Come on cycle!

You can also try spot treating the cyano with hydrogen peroxide 3% or liquid carbon. Manually remove as much of it as possible then turn off the filter, draw up 1-3ml of their peroxide or liquid carbon, then slowly squirt the cyano. Leave filters off 20 minutes. Just be very careful if you have delicate shrimp. This will often kill the cyano. Then if you do a black out for 3 days you might be able to kill it off without using antibiotics.

I think I'll try that method then. It sounds safer than trying to dose such a small tank with meds. I'd just read so many threads about antibiotics being the best way to get rid of cyano I thought I should go straight to that method. Hopefully relocating the tank will help too.

And AtHomeWithTwins, my girls are only 16 months and love the aquariums! One of my daughters likes to point at it and say "fffiii" which is all she can say for fish right now. Good luck with your cycle, it's so hard waiting on it!!!

Enjoy the quiet while you can.... Once they really start talking they never stop!! Make sure u keep all ur aquarium stuff out of reach too ... My girls love to play w the api test kit (and everything else) since all the bottles are different colors!! I have to say though, they are always well shaken.

Enjoy the quiet while you can.... Once they really start talking they never stop!! Make sure u keep all ur aquarium stuff out of reach too ... My girls love to play w the api test kit (and everything else) since all the bottles are different colors!! I have to say though, they are always well shaken.

Ha, part of the reason I'm going to move this tank to another room is that the girls can reach the counter and I'm a little concerned they might be able to reach the tank and pull it over since it's so small and relatively light. Haha, I should recruit them to start shaking my test bottles when I am doing that. I usually just do water changes when they're not around though, since I'm sure they'd love to play with the water changer....

On a cyano note, would starting to dose excel in the tank help prevent this from coming back? Or should I just move it to a less sunny location and see what happens? This is my "low maintenance" tank that I only do weekly water changes on and feed the fish. I don't do ferts, and it's a dirted tank. Thanks for the help, ya'll!

Ive read that if your ratio of nitrates to phosphates is too low that can cause cyano. As opposed to lowering phosphate i have been trying raise nitrates by reducing my water changes. I have a planted tank so nitrates were pretty low and this has helped to bring them up. I also shortened my lighting period. So far so good. I'll try anything to keep that stuff away!

Back
Top Bottom