How do I get rid of cyanobacteria??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minyip

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a horrendous case of cyanobacteria in my freshwater tank. It's covering all my plants and decor and I'm losing my mind. My tank looks so awful. It's really taking the joy out of the hobby at the moment.
I just had a baby, so I neglected my tank for a bit so it's really gotten out of hand now. In the past I tried cleaning it and keeping the lights off for a few days, but that didn't really do anything. I'm at a loss. Please help. I'm desperate. :banghead:

Cyanobacter bacteria loves nutrients, low oxygen levels, slow water movement, and red light. Cleaning the tank can usually help but you need to do big (75%) water changes and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or more. You should also wipe down the glass with a disposable paper towel or something you don't want anymore. You need to physically remove as much of it as possible.
Wash ornaments that are contaminated too.

Increasing aeration and water movement around the bottom of the tank can help.

If you have old (more than 12 months old) fluorescent lights, relace the globes and starters. Use globes with a 6500K rating (K is for Kelvin). If you have LED lights they are fine and you don't need to touch them.

Reduce the dry food going into the tank.

This stuff also works and pretty quickly.
https://www.amazon.com/Ultralife-Gr...blue+green+algae+killer&qid=1677714439&sr=8-1

Back
Top Bottom