Double single strip lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonesaw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so I work at Petsmart and twice a year we get 30% off as opposed to 15%. So last weekend I bought for my 60 gallon a 48" single tube strip light with a 32 watt 8,000K full spectrum bulb. Did i mention it was reduced to clear at $37 before my discount? I also bought 2 24" glass versa tops. My tank currently has 2 18" daylight t8 bulbs. Will just switching fixtures be enough for my low light plants ( and or possibly switching bulbs)? If not would it be possible/safe to have the 48" and the 2 24" fixtures on the glass tops (which is what the manager suggested, but I don't really trust anything she says)? I'm sorry if this is confusing, clearly I am confused. Also i have flourish tabs and just bought flourish comprehensive. Thanks for any advice!!

In this case, at least, your manager is right. Use all of your lights. Even with both of your strips your still in the low light range. If the 2 short bulbs are over a year old I'd swap em out for fresh lamps. Gotta replace em every year anyway so trying a new type makes sense.

The flourish and root tabs are both great to use. What plants do you have in your tank?

Oh sorry, I have some java fern, anarcharis and some sort of grass I have no idea what it is.

Could you fit both light strips on top of your tank? It's a good idea. You would have an easier time growing your plants. Oh, if the shop sells any crypts you may want to try one out to see if it works.

They should both fit. I'll test tomorrow. And the grass looked greener when I got it. I'm willing to accept it not surviving in my tank.

ForumRunner_20120616_235842.jpg

That is "mondo grass" or Ophiopogon japonica. It is not an aquatic plant and won't survive long term submerged. It is often sold as an "aquatic plant" but this is inaccurate.

+1 they got me with that same plant looks nice at first then it goes wrong and dies off making a mess

That is "mondo grass" or Ophiopogon japonica. It is not an aquatic plant and won't survive long term submerged. It is often sold as an "aquatic plant" but this is inaccurate.

I knew it was going to be Mondo grass. That's why I asked for a pic.

They get some many people with that plant.

I am pretty sure I bought some back in the day when I started a planted tank the first time around... It is a nice looking plant. Too bad it doesn't grow under water ;).

I grew some in a 15L frog terrarium about 10 years back. Worked for that. I'm not real sure what else it's used for. It's sold all over so people must use it for something. Has the reputation of a scam plant now.

I even asked the manager if it was a fully aquatic plant. I'm starting to think this dog groomer is more qualified to run the pet care dept. So... what do I do with it? Put it in a pot and let it live out its days?

Agh I just bought some of that I think! It was labeled "assorted aquatic plant" lol. Looks good in the tank tho. I had been taken on the bamboo as well before when I first started but it's still alive today in the tank! Prolly because I have a dehumidifier that sucks water out of the tank so quick the the leaves get out of the water every few days. Now it's not growing fast but alive and strong! I wonder if the mondo grass will work the same?

Back
Top Bottom