Driftwood question??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know this is way off topic but anyways I bought some Malaysian drift wood from a Pet store and i have some questions. Ok when i bought the wood it had never been in water so we asked what we needed to do the said " You need to soak it for about a week or it will turn your tank yellow" They had a 250g showcase tank when you walk in and they said it would look like that! It was horrible the water was so murky you couldnt see through it! They said the filter would eventually make the water clear again! I have been soaking it for about 3 weeks now changing the water every day and its still yellow! I really need the driftwood because my ph is super high and i dont want to use chemicals! Should i go ahead and put it in there or what????

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can boil it that helps release the tannins quicker. You can make "coffee" in half an hour. Boil it till it stops leaching tannins or you've boiled for about 2-4 hours. Just change the water once it gets really dark and start again with the boiling. It should be fine then.

You can boil it that helps release the tannins quicker. You can make "coffee" in half an hour. Boil it till it stops leaching tannins or you've boiled for about 2-4 hours. Just change the water once it gets really dark and start again with the boiling. It should be fine then.

Matt is exactly right.

You could also just put it in. It's not that bad really. It just softens the water and lowers pH, no harm to anything. Activated carbon in your filter could help as well.

Back
Top Bottom