Dying Baby Tears

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
is that a 65w coralife fixure on a 29gallon tank?
may not have quite enough light...although the macranda shouldn't do well either if the light is that low.

65W on a 20 gal.... the macranda is growing at the tips... the rest of it came a little frazzlled, but seems to be coming around....

There's at least two plants going by baby tears: H. micranthemoides and M. umbrosum. The former seems much pickier: mine in my 8 gal keep dropping older leaves like yours does, but in my .5g nano I've gotten a nice little bush of it. I planted them in groups of three in both tanks, but the best growth has been from stems I laid down to propogate. My best advice is to be patient... it took a couple months for the ~4" stems in my nano to grow bushy. Its listed by many as a fast grower, but it doesn't grow fast at all for me. I think its wisest to put it near the front of your tank where it will only be partially shaded, but the unshaded parts might creep like a carpet.

M. umbrosum on the other hand seems to grow everywhere, and if lower leaves are dropping I would suspect nutrient deficiency, or if its new, that maybe you started with emersed growthor something. M. umbrosum grows pretty fast even in my low/med light set-up.

HTH

H. micranthemoides - sorry about that. And how important is it to separate the Macrandra stems? I have them anchored in a bunch right now....

If you don't separate them at the least the bottom leaves will all die off. Yell have bare stems with a big puff of leaves on top. At worst the bottom of the stems will rot, eventually killing the plant. Good advice to separate them to allow light to the bottom of the plant.

Interested in others' experience with H. micranthemoides. How do you get it to grow quickly, especially as a carpet?

Back
Top Bottom