Elodea shoots/roots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Razzy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
img_3099845_0_35f078d787c07f46b6bf8d3a90f41bd7.jpg

I hope the photo isn't too big..

But I've been wondering how to cut off the new growth on my elodea? They've all sprouted new elodea's on the side and I tried looking it up but just didnt understand.

There's also these multiple strands/roots shooting off to the side that I wasn't sure with what to do ?
Thanks

I always cut about 1/4 inch below where the roots are forming, strip the leaves where the roots are and plant it in your substrate, making sure the roots are buried. Elodea is very forgiving so don't worry too much. Your old stem will grow new shoots.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I should cut it below those roots and then plant it and bury the roots in the substrate? So should i be leaving the old elodea on there with the new when I plant it ? haha. Thanks

So I should cut it below those roots and then plant it and bury the roots in the substrate? So should i be leaving the old elodea on there with the new when I plant it ? haha. Thanks

Yes, if you get a branch near the bottom of a stem i think you can just cut the branched piece off and replant that. Your branch in the picture is close to the top so I wouldn't worry about just cutting the branch.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom