Fe in 0 KH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

czcz

Aquarium Advice Addict
If chelated Fe falls out faster as KH rises, how long will Fe stay available in 0 KH? Is it feasible that one could dose traces once a week?

Anyone tried this, and if so, did you see Fe deficiency?

Thank you.

That's a great question Joe. I wish I had a tank with a 0 KH to test it in. This is one of those situations where a LaMotte Fe kit might actually be useful. Hopefully one of the chemistry whizzes here on AA will be able to answer this one :p

I believe I'm as close to 0kdh (actually hovering at @ 2-3 depending on the weather) as you can get. Is that fair enough or do you really need an absolute 0 to test your question out on?

Travis, for a minute I was thinking about going to my old university and titrating Fe samples with different KH, but the more I think about it the more it seems I'll need a lot of paperwork (for their liability) and just too muich trouble. Still thinking about it though :)

I can test at 2dKH. How often are you dosing traces, Bill? I'm going to do some more searching and reading on Fe and chelators at given KH before dropping KH further to test.

I have 1.5 kh maybe lower with the aquasoil grabbing the carbonate that is there from the water. if you can figure out an fe test, I can pitch in with pillow soft water. ;)

Someone please correct me, but its possible to test available (ferrous) Fe with a color indicator using KSCN, or to percipitate the ferric iron with a hydroxide (to make Fe(OH)3). If I test at a lab I'll use these experiments from my old lab/chem books.

I think for our purposes we'll just need to use plants as Fe indicators in our tanks, limiting trace dosing to once a week for a couple weeks, then report back. Something like Wisteria.

Thanks guys.

czcz said:
Someone please correct me, but its possible to test available (ferrous) Fe with a color indicator using KSCN, or to percipitate the ferric iron with a hydroxide (to make Fe(OH)3). If I test at a lab I'll use these experiments from my old lab/chem books.

I think for our purposes we'll just need to use plants as Fe indicators in our tanks, limiting trace dosing to once a week for a couple weeks, then report back. Something like Wisteria.

Thanks guys.

Go with the rust maker (iron oxide). Or be very careful and use a chemical hood if going the first route, since you might be making free cyanide.....

LOL...seems the only candidates are from the same region. :)

czcz said:
I can test at 2dKH. How often are you dosing traces, Bill?

I've just begun to dose the CSM+B, so I don't have a regimen in place as yet. Right now, it's @ 10ml per week, dosed at every other day intervals.

7Enigma said:
Or be very careful and use a chemical hood if going the first route, since you might be making free cyanide.....

Ok, you've just scared everyone away. :wink:

Wow, that's hardcore 8O Chemistry is cool.

Thanks 7Enigma and Jchillin.

czcz said:
Wow, that's hardcore 8O Chemistry is cool.

Thanks 7Enigma and Jchillin.

Well I don't know how the color indication works, but I'd be worried of freeing up CN in the process...better have a parakeet in the same room with you. :)

Back
Top Bottom