Fearing the Worst

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mohican

Aquarium Advice Addict
While adjusting my new diffuser, I turned down my pH to have my CO2 run. Well I forgot to return my pH back to 6.5 and it has been running around 5.5. Hence, I come home and see all my Angels belly up. I re-adjusted my pH and added an airstone to bring the pH back up. Am I on the right track? I hope my Angels make it, but some seem done for.

That should put in more O2 in your water and displace some excess CO2 in your tank. Good luck and hope your fish pulls through!

If it makes you feel any better, I just bought two true Siamese algae eaters and after acclimating them for 30 mins, I went to go put them into my tank and one went belly up and stopped breathing. I guess it was to stressful for him :( $8.00 down the tubes.

I've unfortunately made the mistake of trying to force co2 thru a water logged diffuser, then not turning down the pressure. Hours later I come back and my drop checker is neon yellow and almost everything is gasping at the surface, the rest are lifeless at the bottom. That's an hour panic as I do 3 back to back 75% PWC's and try to save the rest.

Lesson learned...after the second time. Turn the co2 on where it belongs and just wait it out.

Thanks everyone, I ended up losing all 11 Angels. Now I'm trying to figure out why my pH controller keeps the CO2 keep running. What are signs of bad or outdated probe? I just re-calibrated it tonight to see if it works correctly.

I have to wait for the pH to get to set point, its pretty close. If the solenoid is jammed open, any way of fixing?

Last night I got the water back up to set point of 6.5. So while at work today, it happened again dropping pH to 5.5. I'm off work now for the holidays so I'll be around to monitor the tank better so I can take necessary action. The probe is about 1 yr old and last I calibrated it was March; bad I know.

Well, pH probes aren't rocket science, and their design is pretty simple. I've abused pH probes worse than anyone on here ever will be able to, and they (mostly) survived. About the worst thing you can do to them is let them dry out all the way. I doubt there's anything too wrong with the probe itself. A quick calibration and it will be semi-accurate again.

Regarding the solenoid, if you unplug it, does it click and shut off your CO2 flow? If so, it's not the solenoid.

That being said, if the meter was reading 5.5, accurate or not, and was set to go off at 6.5, then you know that the problem was 'downstream' of the probe itself, either with the solenoid or the monitor software/hardware sans probe. Check to make sure everything's on/off. If that fails, maybe try turning it on/off or resetting it (depending on what your model can do).

Back
Top Bottom