Fertilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been using API leaf zone in my tank this past few weeks and before that i was using tetra flora pride. and they seem to not do much for my plants since after a week later i see some of my plants turn yellow..
I have been told that dry ferts work better. where can i get some? and do i also need root tabs?

i was told i only need root tabs if i have crypts or high light plants.
is that true?

Root tabs help all plants but are really needed with Crypts and swords. I also dose PPS-Pro in my 220g and get them from Greenleaf Aquariums. Here is a link to the micro and marco fert package you would need.... Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

These are the dosing bottles that I use but I would get three and mix the micro solution in one, the nitrates in one, and the phosphate and potassium in one. By splitting the macro solutions up, nitrates in one bottle, phospates and potassium in another it gives you an easier way to adjust your macro ferts if you need to... Fertilizer Dispenser | 1000 mL (32 oz) | Green Leaf Aquariums. Also you want to add 5ml of Excel for every 250ml of macro/micro solution to keep the solutions from getting moldy.

Here is a thread about PPS-Pro dosing. You only need to read up about the dosing, not all the following posts.... Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central

Also consider using DIY or Pressurized CO2 (DIY only on smaller tanks) or using a liquid carbon such as Excel/lutaraldehyde/API CO2 Booster. These aid the plants in photosynthesis and growth and when used with ferts and CO2 or liquid carbon will give you the best growth.

Paulcm10 said:
i was told i only need root tabs if i have crypts or high light plants.
is that true?

Not necessarily.. It's true that crypts and swords are heavy root feeders and they can benefit from the iron and other nutrients from the tabs. But almost any plant with a root system (with the exception of ferns and anubias) can utilize nutrients from the substrate as well from water column dosing. My 12g planted tank linked in my signature has Flourish root tabs in the Floramax substrate.. I'm getting awesome growth from all my plants.. I'm constantly having to mow them down since they grow so much..

Edit: my lighting is considered high so i inject co2 and dose pps-pro thanks to Rivercats suggestion. So i can't just say it's the root tabs, it's just a component within the other parts of the puzzle.

Im a n00b but here is what is working for me. I have a 75gal tall planted tank. My lighting is a 4' shop light with 2 40w bulbs (6500k). I dose flourish excel (two bottle caps daily) and FloraPride (two bottle caps weekly) my plants are doing great. I have amazon swords, anubias, one sprig of java fern, water wisteria(floating) and red ludwigia(floating). Anubias sprouted new leaf, swords got shooters going and my floating plants have new root systems growing like crazy.

i am thinking about buying some of the green leaf aquarium fertilizers.
but is that all i need to get my plants to thrive?
is it necessary to get a DIY or CO2? i believe i cannot have any of that because i have RCS in my tank.
I am thinking about getting root tabs for my crypts :).

I use a heavy dose of liquid carbon daily and keep about 50-75 ghost shrimp and alot of people use CO2 in shrimp tanks.

i don't need CO2 right? since i only have medium and low light plants.
and can i get flourish at petco? or petsmart?

also i might hold off on the DIY or CO2 diffuser.. I'm low on budget... (poor college student) haha

oh ok i am looking at petsmarts site and they have 2 different ones. they have Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement and the other is seachem Flourish Plant Supplements.
what is the difference and what works better?
by looking at the description they seem to have the same stuff in it. except the comprehensive is more expensive haha

For what you have all you need is Flourish Comprehensive. It has the broadest spectrum of ferts in it. In the other line you have to buy alot of the different ferts individually. So even if the Comp is more expensive it's actually cheaper than having to buy a bunch of products.

Back
Top Bottom