Ferts for 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ayi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have water sprite, anacharis, java moss and java fern. The moss and fern are not doing too good. I have a bamboo shrimp so if there's stuff that they can't tolerate please let me know so I can avoid it.

Thank you.

That's surprising. The java moss and java fern should do the best in the tank. What kind of lighting are you using?

That's surprising. The java moss and java fern should do the best in the tank. What kind of lighting are you using?

I'm using the aqueon T8 flora max bulb, but it's only 1.5 wpg. I thought it would help a lot more than this.:(

Hello Ayi...

How many fish do you have in your tank? Do you have enough light for your plants? The fish provide the best, long term fertilizer available. If you have the appropriate lighting and a reasonable fish load you don't need to dose fertilizers. Just feed a balanced diet.

B

What size tank is it? Most likely you don't have enough light but without knowing the tank size in relation to the lighting there is no way to tell. You also have multiple plants in your tank and some fertilization always helps. Fish food and waste alone do not add all the macro and micro nutrients needed for healthy plant growth. But without enough light plants just won't flourish regardless.

Hello Ayi...

How many fish do you have in your tank? Do you have enough light for your plants? The fish provide the best, long term fertilizer available. If you have the appropriate lighting and a reasonable fish load you don't need to dose fertilizers. Just feed a balanced diet.

B

I have a dwarf gourami, 2 golden wonder killifish, 2 neons, 3 corys and a bristlenose pleco. I'm not sure if I have enough lighting.

What size tank is it? Most likely you don't have enough light but without knowing the tank size in relation to the lighting there is no way to tell. You also have multiple plants in your tank and some fertilization always helps. Fish food and waste alone do not add all the macro and micro nutrients needed for healthy plant growth. But without enough light plants just won't flourish regardless.

The tank is a standard 10 gallon.

That is low light indeed but if your only having problems with the two plants I strongly suggest using the Flouish Comprehensive weekly after WC's and using liquid carbon such as Excel at a rate of 1ml per 10g daily will really help. What could easily be happening is the Water sprite could easily be using the available nutrients in the water starving the other plants. Don't get rid of it as it's a good plant to help keep nutrient levels in check but you need too add some more ferts so there is enough available for all the plants.

That is low light indeed but if your only having problems with the two plants I strongly suggest using the Flouish Comprehensive weekly after WC's and using liquid carbon such as Excel at a rate of 1ml per 10g daily will really help. What could easily be happening is the Water sprite could easily be using the available nutrients in the water starving the other plants. Don't get rid of it as it's a good plant to help keep nutrient levels in check but you need too add some more ferts so there is enough available for all the plants.

How much do these usually cost?

Do some online shopping around and you can find some really good prices compared to what retail is. Sometimes you can also find free shipping but if you do the math often times even with a small amount of shipping it still is cheaper than retail. I find ebay often has the lowest prices but check around for deals. I don't want to say around $10 each and have it be way off (but I don't think that is too far off for small bottles) but also remember say for the Excel you use 1ml daily, which is like 1 drop, so even a small bottle will last a long time. I doubt you'd use much more if any of the fert either.

Do some online shopping around and you can find some really good prices compared to what retail is. Sometimes you can also find free shipping but if you do the math often times even with a small amount of shipping it still is cheaper than retail. I find ebay often has the lowest prices but check around for deals. I don't want to say around $10 each and have it be way off (but I don't think that is too far off for small bottles) but also remember say for the Excel you use 1ml daily, which is like 1 drop, so even a small bottle will last a long time. I doubt you'd use much more if any of the fert either.

Everywhere I've looked online is pretty expensive. Does petco/ petsmart sell them?

I got some comprehensive from petsmart for cheap-ish. Is excel really needed?

Look at this... Amazon.com Shopping Cart. That is cheap as can be even with the $7 shipping for the two. And no you don't have to use Excel but it will help a lot. What you would pay retail for just Flouish Comprehensive would be close to what these two would cost. It's up to you. I don't shop for fish supplies at PetCo or Pet Smart but most local fish stores usually carry them.

Look at this... Amazon.com Shopping Cart. That is cheap as can be even with the $7 shipping for the two. And no you don't have to use Excel but it will help a lot. What you would pay retail for just Flouish Comprehensive would be close to what these two would cost. It's up to you. I don't shop for fish supplies at PetCo or Pet Smart but most local fish stores usually carry them.

That link doesn't take me anywhere. I'll just pick up some excel this weekend at the lfs since I just got the comprehensive.

Back
Top Bottom