Finally getting a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Posivated

Aquarium Advice Activist
Been over a year since I have been able to have a fish tank and now that I'm moving in June I will be able to have another tank, and have come back to these fantastic forums for some input on what I should get. I'll list some things I know I want.

Tank
20 gallon tank (Want to try and find an acrylic tank this time around, I like the way 20g long tanks look if I can find an acrylic one)

Plants
Live plants (My last tank didn't have the proper light to support plants, this time I'll be better prepared)

Fish
Passive fish (My last tank had Agassiz corys, yoyo loachs, and black skirt tetras. The only issue I had was that one of the loachs was very aggressive and am looking to avoid any conflicts from the start, so I want passive fish this time around.)

It's great to hear you get another opportunity to partake in this wonderful hobby. 20 long tanks are a great footprint and shallow enough to get excellent results out of a planted tank. Just curious, but why do you want to go with acrylic? I find them semi-difficult to work with in terms of planted tanks because of the risk of the tank getting scratched easily. Some of the planted tank substrates are abrasive and if you accidentally get any of the medium under an algae scrubbing sponge, for instance, you'll scratch it quite easily. Well, that's my take on it because I'm sometimes not careful enough.

Once you figure out the tank and your goals for plants, we can better recommend lighting and equipment (also depending on budget).

The acrylic tanks I've seen always seem to look more clear. I've also never liked the idea of glass, always worries me that it's going to shatter or something. It was an idea, not necessarily going to get one. Plus acrylics are more expensive so I will probably end of just getting glass.

As for the plants I don't really have a preference, I haven't seen a aquatic plant I haven't thought was cool looking. I just want the plants to survive, had a hard time with my last tank and its led light. So this time I'll be getting the proper light. So hearty plants would probably be best. I would like to try and avoid using Co2 though if possible, seems like something to do once I have mastered doing a hearty planted tank.

Last edited:
Sounds good. If high clarity is what you're looking for, take a look at the 17g rimless tanks. They vary in price, but ADA makes one called 60p. Mr. Aqua, GLA, and Landen has one too. Low iron glass = high clarity.

I'll look those up when I get home today. Rimless tanks baffle me though, makes no sense to me how they stay together.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Very good craftsmanship + German-Grade silicone + thicker than normal glass.

Edit: silicone work is typically excellent and minimalistic.

Last edited:
I just thought about it and I don't think I can have a rimless tank because of my cats. I have 2 cats and without a lid I think the tank would get a good amount of hair in it.

Back
Top Bottom