Finnex planted + or rayII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckalisz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a standard 55g tank which I just started planting. I'd say its low tech. Using excel, flourish, and iron supplements. I don't plan on getting high light plants and would prefer to stay low tech. I just want 1 48" fixture so which would work best?

I agree that the bells and whistles on that light look great I think it might be a little under powered maybe?

It's fine for the way your phrased your question. If a 55g is 21" tall, minus substrate of 2 to 3", you're at about 18" from light to substrate... you'll get about 25 to 28 PAR. This puts you in the upper part of low light. Perfect for low tech and no co2. If you want to get to medium light and above, you can go with a finnex but you should dose a lot of liquid carbon or inject co2. I like the Sat+ because I can run dim settings all day in my "non-photoperiod" times without the risk of getting algae. Finnex is great too, I have owned 4 finnex fixtures at one point. IMO, I like the "full spectrum" output of the Sat+. Colors just pop more in my fish and having the ability to change the color and intensity is great. But if you want to hit medium light and grow more plants, then I'd get the Planted+ but be prepared to dose a good amount of Excel or get co2.

Such a tough complicated choice. Lol. By dosing a "good amount" are we talking about more than a daily capful of excel? I'm starting to favor the satellite for the simple fact that if it's not enough for me I can always get a second one.

I guess the dosing Excel (or Glut alternative) would depend on your light intensity and how much plant mass you have. I'm not an expert in dosing liquid carbon. I do use it but I sort of wing it. If I start to see algae, I'll reduce lighting and dose a bit more before it goes away. Rivercats or Old Scales here in AA would be best at telling you how much to dose of that.

Yeah my thoughts exactly about the Sat+. That's why I run two because I have more light demanding plants and I inject co2. But if I had it low tech, one would suffice for easier plants.

What I didn't like about my Finnex fixtures is that they weren't dimmable. So you'd either have to suspend the light higher from the tank, reduce the photoperiod, or add some DIY method (like window screen) to the splash shield to tame that light. It's still a very good option and very capable of growing plants... just know it's challenges as well.

One last option... if you think you'll be in this "planted tank" hobby for a while and you have the budget for it, I'd get the BuildMyLED(.com) light over everything discussed so far. This light has the ability to add an optional dimmer and has the power at full throttle to grow high light plants (with co2 & ferts considered). So in other words, you can invest in it now and dim it for the low tech build... and you have a light that can grow with you as your skill level increases for high tech. You wouldn't have to buy any other lights. Just food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom