First Co2 reactor....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Eye Tang

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've done some research on a basic Co2 reactor which is just one 2 liter bottle and the airline tubing comming out of it with an airstone on one end. It is just for a 20g tank and I was wondering if that is going to be enough. Also the LFS sold me a box of Nutrafin Co2. There is one packet of "stabilizer" and one packet of "Activator". They are both the same size packet. No Instructions!??! Should I use this or just go with the yeast/sugar mix?

nutrafin co2 is just diy co2 just a lot more money. i would use a 2 liter bottle. a air stone isnt going to break the co2 up very well.

here a couple pics of my diy

5 2ltr with a 16oz bubble counter
100_0810.jpg

co2 goes to an airstone inside of a gravel vac.
100_0809.jpg

looks ugly but i wasnt really going for looks because i'm getting a pressurized system soon.

The Activator = Champagne Yeast and the Stabilizer = Baking Soda. Best to return the stuff and buy the less expensive versions.

Ok I'm just getting ready to start my homeade reactor. Couple final questions. Do you leave it on constantly - and what would be a prime bubble rate to start with for a 20g high? One more thing is what is the best mixture to put in the 2 liter to start. I've heard 2 cups sugar to a pinch of yeast. Any Ideas?

i do 2 cups of sugar to 1 teaspoon of yeast. mix the yeast in a seperate container in warm water and let it activate before you add it to your sugar water. in the 2 liter, put your sugar in and fill it up almost to the curve ot the top of the bottle. then add your yeast. you dont want the water in the two liter to go above the curve.

you can't adjust your bubble rate and dont try to. you dont want the pressure to build up in the 2 liter or you'll have a mess to clean up after the explosion. so yes it stays on all of the time

Yikes,... if that happens my wife will probably boot me from the house. Ill need a place to stay. Wish me luck! Here is the setup I made based on the ones ive seen it seems like this would work fine for my 20g.

Attachments

• PICT0013 (2).jpg
    PICT0013 (2).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 73
once you get it all set up, you'll be amazed at how easy it was and why you haven't done it before

if you have any questions i should be around

Don't leave it on at night, the plants won't use up the co2, and it will run the risk of killing some fish due to decreased oxygen.

I use a double valve setup, that allows me to close the aquariums valve, and open a valve that is open into the air at night. This way co2 doesn't build up in the base, and isn't injected at night.

Don't leave it on at night, the plants won't use up the co2, and it will run the risk of killing some fish due to decreased oxygen.

I use a double valve setup, that allows me to close the aquariums valve, and open a valve that is open into the air at night. This way co2 doesn't build up in the base, and isn't injected at night.
With DIY the yeast keeps working through the night, doesn't pressure build up over night and make your bottles at least bulge?

Back
Top Bottom