First Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcherry

Aquarium Advice Activist
First week of first planted tank

Can I trim this giant hairgrass a bit or will that kill the leaves?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110718_231959.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110718_231959.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 417
I like when plants do this (just started a planted on pre existing 10gal) it provides fish with some light cover, and it just looks neat

Looks really nice! I would keep it the way it is but if you don't like it that tall you can trim it back some. Only suggestion would be move the line of smaller rocks to the left of the driftwood in a more random pattern like you did on the right side. Something smaller in front of the DW would look good too!

Thanks a lot guys.
Any ideas on where my red cherry shrimp disappeared? Is it possible the amano shrimp killed them? Or they crawled up into the overflow box? I lost them within 24 hours of adding them.

Haha I do hope to eventually have about 100 but I don't want to keep buying them if they're being killed/eaten or climbing into the abyss of the overflow box , never to be seen again.

Wow your tank looks really good! In my opinion I like the look but if you don't like it trimming them won't hurt it! If you trim them it would kinda look cool having floating leaves intersparsed all around the tank. :)

Thanks a lot guys.
Any ideas on where my red cherry shrimp disappeared? Is it possible the amano shrimp killed them? Or they crawled up into the overflow box? I lost them within 24 hours of adding them.

Shrimp are REALLY Good at hiding. many people keep RCS and Amano shrimp together. I usually only see my Amano shrimp once in a while, and at first i'd always get worried, but would see them pop out of nowhere after a while.

I thought some of my shrimp were gone too then one day I saw them all out together :) they do hide well !

Alright ill keep a lookout for a few days. I'm gradually adding fish, about to add 3 German blue rams to the school of 10 cardinal tetras. Slowly getting there.

Haha I do hope to eventually have about 100 but I don't want to keep buying them if they're being killed/eaten or climbing into the abyss of the overflow box , never to be seen again.

In May I gave a friend of mine 21 healthy adult Cherries that I found while cleaning my canister filter. I assume that they made that trip as shrimplets and grew up in there, very tough little guys.

Actually only added 2 rams, typo up there. Pretty young and still dull from the transfer but can anyone sex these?

I think the first is male second female?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110720_000237.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110720_000237.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 167
  • ForumRunner_20110720_000250.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110720_000250.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 171
Yeah she has a very pink belly. At what age can they start spawning? The female is about 1.25 inches while the male is about 1.5 inches.

Back
Top Bottom