First planted tank fish have ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheesy318

Aquarium Advice Activist
It's my first planted tank and my two cherry barbs have ich. I'm in the process of doing a fish in cycle. Paramters are

0ammonia
Ph 7.4
Nitrite .5
Nitrate 10ppm
Waterchange tomorrow

Now I know with saltwater if you get the fish fed it will go away their body will fight it. I've done it. Is it the same way with freshwater? We have treated our 45 freshwater for ich before back when the tank was first set up a year ago.but this is in my 29 gallon

With a planted tank if I treat it can I treat it what should I use?

Fish In Tank Cycling

Hello chees...

Getting rid of the ich parasite will require heat and large water changes. Large water changes don't help the nitrogen cycle, though. To cycle the tank with fish, you need to test the tank water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test for either, remove 25 percent of the tank water and replace it with pure, treated tap water. Just test every day and remove a quarter of the water when needed. When several daily tests show no traces of the above toxins, the tank is cycled. The process takes roughly one month.

When I cycled with fish, I included a lot of stems of Hornwort. It's a good natural water filter that thrives in nitrogen rich water.

After the tank is cycled you can deal with the ich parasite.

B

How high should I turn my heat up it's about 76 right now. I'll try the hornwort.

I haven't had any ammonia at any point when I have tested the water, just nitrites and trates. I started the tank with about 7gallons of established water from the 45 gallon.

You don't want to wait till after the tank is cycled to treat the ick. Slowly turn the heat up till you reach 84-86. The added heat will actually speed the growth of bacteria which means your cycle will also speed up. You don't need to do water changes any differently than you have been doing. Do a WC anytime ammonia or nitrites reach .25ppm. You also don't want nitrates to get above 20ppm tops. I personally would not add any new plants while you have the heat turned up. Hornwort can be messy if it decides to start dropping leaves.

Back
Top Bottom