Fluval Edge 6g Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WBAC88

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I recently bought a Fluval edge off of craigslist for cheap, and I'm interested in doing a small planted tank with some small schooling fish (I've seen suggestions for ember tetras, chili rasbora, and celestial pearl danios) and possibly some invertebrates. I've scrubbed the thing out with a sponge and some water, set it up once to make sure it all worked and then dismantled it again.

I have an established 65g, so my question is about cycling. If I add some of the BB from my main tank, would it be possible to add a few fish right away to start the process going, or should I use the BB to do a fishless cycle? I've read that when starting with seed bacteria, it's possible to have a small number of fish without doing them any harm because there's enough bacteria to start eating up the ammonia, nitrates and nitrites right away. What are people's thoughts on this?

On a slightly unrelated note, any suggestions for a substrate to use in a small tank like this? I have PFS in my 65g, but I wanted to try something else. I'm going all low-light plants, anubias, etc. Thanks!

WBAC88 said:
So, I recently bought a Fluval edge off of craigslist for cheap, and I'm interested in doing a small planted tank with some small schooling fish (I've seen suggestions for ember tetras, chili rasbora, and celestial pearl danios) and possibly some invertebrates. I've scrubbed the thing out with a sponge and some water, set it up once to make sure it all worked and then dismantled it again.

I have an established 65g, so my question is about cycling. If I add some of the BB from my main tank, would it be possible to add a few fish right away to start the process going, or should I use the BB to do a fishless cycle? I've read that when starting with seed bacteria, it's possible to have a small number of fish without doing them any harm because there's enough bacteria to start eating up the ammonia, nitrates and nitrites right away. What are people's thoughts on this?

On a slightly unrelated note, any suggestions for a substrate to use in a small tank like this? I have PFS in my 65g, but I wanted to try something else. I'm going all low-light plants, anubias, etc. Thanks!

Yes, you can add some media from your established tank. If you add enough you might not even see a cycle. Start off by stocking jut a couple of fish and test every day. Do PWC as needed (if ammonia or nitrite gets over 0.25ppm). Once they are both 0 for a week straight your right to add other fish slowly.

Substrate depends on what you like. I have black quartz sand in my 10g. Very nice and different from the PFS color. You could do gravel with plants no problem as well.

Thanks, that sounds like what I was thinking, just wanted to double check and all that.

Back
Top Bottom