Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2006, 10:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to exodus
Gave in and built a DIY CO2 setup

But I have one question. I'm using the mixture of sugar/water/dry yeast, and just wondered how long it is from the time that you mix the ingredients together and when you start seeing co2 bubbles?

TIA!

lots of fish.
Royal pleco!!

10g Freshwater - Fake plants/PFS -
Breeding pair of convict cichlids purchased from the LFS I work at for $1.25
(best part is that I have a place to get rid of the fry!)
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to nitrous Send a message via MSN to nitrous
mine usually takes about a day or two

nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Anywhere from a 1/2 hour to 24 hours, by the 24 hour mark it should be going full blast. I usually see bubbles after an hour or so.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, I just mixed it up about 10 mins ago, so I guess I'll go check it in an hour or so and see how its coming along.

The mixture isnt very precise, correct?

lots of fish.
Royal pleco!!

Old 05-15-2006, 11:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My mix is usually going in a couple of hours. I mix the yeast with a 1/4 cup of warm water and about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in a small cup before I pour it into my 2 litre bottles. Mix it with a fork until there are no lumps and most of the yeast is dissolved, then dump it in. I find this really helps to kick start bubble production.
90 gallon, Crypt undulata "broad leaf" Lobelia cardinalis small and large form. H.corymbosa "compact" Crypt parva, Crypt Red Wendetti Downoi, Bacopa, Samolus Valerandi, Limnophilla Aromatica Alternanthera Reineckii lilacina(purple)
2x 150 Wt 10000k HQI Metal Halide, 2x 65 Wt 6700k-Colourmax
Glenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cool, thats exactly what I did.

lots of fish.
Royal pleco!!

Old 05-15-2006, 11:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

This may be overkill, but to get things going, after I put everything in the bottle I let it sit in a warm bath in my sink for a while. I started this diy business when it was still cold. My house is warm enough now I think I can probably skip this step.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, I was thinking about doing that, but I've got my bottles sitting on my HOB and right next to the open back of my canopy, so its got all the heat radiating off the top of the tank/HOB/lights to keep it warm.

I also just gave the bottles a nice shake and I can see a few bubbles starting to form now.

lots of fish.
Royal pleco!!

Old 05-16-2006, 09:40 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Be careful about shaking those bottles once you've got them mixed. If the mixture was going better than you could see, the end result could have been that yeast mixture foaming up through the tubing and into your tank.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrbox
Be careful about shaking those bottles once you've got them mixed. If the mixture was going better than you could see, the end result could have been that yeast mixture foaming up through the tubing and into your tank.
exactly, its just like shaking a soda with the lid slightly off...it causes a sudden release of CO2, and the pressure will shoot the DIY mix into your tank, which has been known to kill fish and cause bacterial blooms.

shake once when adding the yeast, then NEVER again.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

You did the proper method for quickly acclimating the yeast to a no oxygen environment. When using dry yeast, you want to mix in some warm water (~100F) and get all the lumps out. Then add a pinch or 2 of sugar, and then really mix to froth it up (getting lots of oxygen into the water). Then let the mixture sit for 10min or so and add to your bottle (that has dissolved sugar water at about the same temp). This should create pressurized CO2 within the hour, and by 2-3hours (depending on water hardness/etc can vary) should be producing at full rate.

While malkore suggested not to shake once mixed, personally I gently shake (in a circular fashion) to resuspend any yeast sitting on the bottom, as well as to evenly distribute the alcohol that is produced, and the suger in the water. As long as you don't overdo it (and don't have the bottle too full in the first place) I've found this to produce a more even CO2 production as well as slightly decrease the longevity of the mixture (I'm guessing this is due to the more even CO2 production whereas if you didn't shake it the CO2 production would slow near the end prior to alcohol poisoning).

You should get a minimum of 10-14 days out of the mixture, but I normally change the bottle once I get close to 1 bubble every 1.5-2 seconds (optimal for me is around 2 bubbles per second), which for me recently has been about 15 days (I think, I tend to forget when I make the mixture as it doesn't matter as long as I don't let the CO2 drop to much, thus causing algae problems).

HTH,

justin

Tags
co2, diy, diy co2, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com