Glossostigma dying off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrBoyd80

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi people,

I recently did a dry start method with Glosso seeds and everything went well. Once i had a good thick 1.5inch layer I added water then a couple days later added 6 Mollies. Now 1 week later all the fish have died and I'm getting patches of dead glosso.
It's a brand new 144L tank with 1400L/H pump, 9W UV Light, 55w A901 Chihiros 8000K 8.200 Lumen LED and CO2 injection that I built myself.
I tested the water every day and the pH hovered around 7.1 and Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates were all 0ppm.
I fed the fish once a day in the morning. I also added some java moss super glued to the spider root, some needle leaf Java Fern and some dwarf sagittaria which I pre dipped in 1:20 ratio of bleach for 3 min before soaking in an anti chlor solution before adding to tank.
My rocks I collected from a local gorge but I soaked them in a chlorine solution and scrubbed them clean and let sit in the sun for a week before I added them to the tank. The wood I purchased from a fish store.

I guess there's a lot of potential causes from all the new equipment but I was hoping someone out there may have some advice for me.

Attachments

• Glosso Dying (1).jpg
    Glosso Dying (1).jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Glosso Dying (2).jpg
    Glosso Dying (2).jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Glosso Dying (4).jpg
    Glosso Dying (4).jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 155
  • Glosso Dying (5).jpg
    Glosso Dying (5).jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 86
Not sure what caused the fish death. Despite the zero Ammonia, perhaps there are other substances present in the substrate? If so, maybe a few water changes would have helped since going straight from DSM.
The leaf shape looks suspicious for glosso (assuming elantoides). Was expecting a more oval shape and not an “apple” shape. The problem with seeds is that you cannot guarantee the exact species you are getting. This is topic comes up frequently in forums and social media groups (some have banned the topic altogether).
Glosso is a fast growing plant and does not require a DSM. I grew some a few years back in a high tech setup but it grew so fast I could not keep up with the trimming. I pulled it out and went with Dwarf Baby Tears/MC Cuba. Monte Carlo (have not tried yet) is an easier to grow carpet plant that has a smaller leaf size (like DBT).
That is a nice, uncluttered setup you have. When you have gone through your Seachem Ferts I would strongly recommend looking at Green Leaf Aquarium’s line of dry ferts. They carry both PPS-Pro (my favorite) and EI (Estimative Index) types of fertilizers. Highly economical and you can customize the amounts of each macro.

Thanks Fresh2o.
I think you're right about it not being glosso. I'll stick with it anyway and maybe move to Dwarf Hairgrass if it becomes too much of a problem. Here in NZ we don't have the large range of available goodies for the aquascape like the rest of the world.
I've decided to cycle the tank for a few weeks and manually adding Ammonia until I start to see some nitrates then I'll try adding fish again. I'll also do a few water changes before then and see how it goes. I don't think Green Leaf Aquarium ferts are sold in NZ but I'll ask around.
Thanks again

At this point I would stick with the carpet as you mentioned. There are mixed reviews on the success of mystery seeds...could be a few months or perhaps longer. Just remove any portions that start to melt as needed.
I would Google PPS-Pro or IE based fertilizers available in your area. GLA is just one provider of these types of ferts.

Back
Top Bottom